Boston Consulting Group - Ultimately, not worth the pain | Glassdoor

"Ultimately, not worth the pain"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at Boston Consulting Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Brilliant, hard-working and intellectually honest peers, who will form a life-long network.

Cons

Terrible working hours (I was a consultant there for over 4 years and averaged 85 hours per week with many, many memorable 100+ weeks) Over the course of my tenure, I saw how the grueling hours and stress led to physical and psychological degradation of great people. One of my colleagues would suffer seizures because the medication he normally took for a chronic condition made him drowsy, and he couldn't afford... that additional drowsiness when already sleep-deprived on our projects. Another colleague developed a stress-related condition so severe it was mis-diagnosed as breast cancer during the few medical visits she was able to make without repercussions from management. When a manager of mine who was pregnant in her first trimester would leave the boardroom due to morning sickness, (ie. go throw up) our higher-up manager claimed it was "unacceptable for her to just leave the room": he also claimed she should be grateful BCG made arrangements for her to work there while pregnant, since "women getting pregnant was their own choice" (and not, say, a fairly important biological imperative of your species). That BCG institutes a metric system to track work/life balance is indicative of how much of your life will be under its control when you work there: all of it! These are insane costs to pay for prestige and learning.

Advice to Management

Scope projects better, Staff better and Develop a conscience.

Boston Consulting Group2013-09-09
  1. "Executive Assistant"

I have been working at Boston Consulting Group

Pros

Amazing culture and benefits. Free breakfast and lunch.

Cons

Low pay for BST and no room for promotion

Boston Consulting Group2019-11-09
  2. "Great firm to start your career and exit opportunities"

Current Employee - Project Leader in New York, NY

I have been working at Boston Consulting Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great culture, learning experience, camaraderie Not very hierarchical Great exit options

Cons

Long hours (if you want to do well) Feedback heavy culture (which can be considered a good thing, it makes you learn really fast)

Boston Consulting Group2019-11-08

Discover more reviews about Boston Consulting Group.