Boston Market - Former Catering Driver's View | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Boston Market

"Former Catering Driver's View"

Former Employee - Catering Driver in Philadelphia, PA
Former Employee - Catering Driver in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Boston Market part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Boston Market seems to be a pretty laid back company culture. No big push to make you be perfectly perky and positive every day. That being said things in the store can get hectic depending on your location - you'll run out of chicken or possibly other items and customers will get mad and leave you bad reviews when your store does its best. People are worried about doing all the work they need to keep up with and spills on the kitchen floor will get left there. I would try to clean it up and my manager told me not to bother on more than one occasion. Having enough food on hand is job one in a busy store and no one cares too much about anything else.

Working as a catering driver, one of two in our store, I'd work 2 hours a day and make 20 dollars each delivery, max 3 or 4 a day. Pretty good money for two hours a day. When I was leaving Congress was changing the rules for what doctors could charge as an expense, or what drug reps could buy them - not sure how that turned out, but it was going to kill our business as many of the orders were at doctors offices/hospitals.

To do the job of a catering driver, just look at what's on the catering order, get all that food from whomever is preparing it when its ready and put it in a big cardboard tray or hotbag to carry. Get all your drinks (can be very heavy), napkins, salt & pepper, tablecloth, etc, etc. It is your job not to forget anything on the list. Call the client and confirm. Leave plenty of time to get there. Carry or wheel (on a dolly) everything out to your car. When you get there carry or wheel everything up to whatever floor. Set up the tablecloth and food to specs. Ask for the card of other doctors/businesses in the same building for the manager to call, pass out catering menus as you do. Get back to the store, maybe clean up hotbags for 5 minutes, ask if you can leave. Maybe get some half price food on your way out. Pretty easy.

Cons

Big orders can break your back. Seriously.

CANNOT screw up an order, people don't have time for you to drive all the way back to the store.

Overworked cooks can have short tempers. Understandable.

Not enough hours to pay a lot (can be good if you don't want that many.)

Sometimes cooks are slow to deliver your food (or are overwhelmed) and you have to make up the time on the road.

Advice to Management

Keep making a great product for a great price. Upgrade your logo in the near future and do an ad campaign - your image can't afford to go stale unless you're crushing the competition.

Other Employee Reviews for Boston Market

1. "A job for kids."

Current Employee - Hourly Shift Manager in Novi, MI
    Current Employee - Hourly Shift Manager in Novi, MI

I have been working at Boston Market part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Touching people's hearts. Satisfaction of a job well done. You generally have plenty of opportunities for advancement. It's up to you to make of it what you can.

Cons

The pay is not really anything to stay for. They are always hiring but don't seem to appreciate their staff and give them incentives to stay. ONly ones that get incentives like bonuses are the GM's and assistant GM. Who never shares it with their staff who helped them to get it. No raises and because its non union opportunities to move up higher than an hourly shift manager are almost impossible.

Advice to Management

To corporate guys. You need more incentives to make employees stay. We've had the WORST year for loss of staff due to the treatment of them. Raises are necessary for the growth of a company though you see it as a loss. Let us as employees have more say in where we think the company should go. Also I HATE the idea that we can't have more flexibility in the menu due to cost cutting techniques. it's like a slap in the face to the guests that we serve when we take their favorite items off the menu.

2. "Surprisingly still relevant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Boston Market full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Some of the groups are internally very loyal, even sometimes a bit cliquish.
    - Good discount for rotisserie chicken lovers
    - A mission that is easy to dedicate oneself to - ironic that the mission statement is vague and ridiculous.
    - Simple format increases ability for business to expand

Cons

- The politics in middle management are brutal. Though typical for this industry, it isn't anything to be proud about.
    - Though necessary for this business, cost cutting keeps opportunity and growth in check
    The culture has changed in the last couple years and a great deal of the charm has been lost.

Advice to Management

Do more than sit on your ass and expand into the premium markets that have been back burnered since forever.