Boston Market - Positive Energy | Glassdoor

"Positive Energy"

Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Eagan, MN
Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Eagan, MN

I worked at Boston Market full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Loved working for this company. I was a AGM for almost 2-years and transferred to Oregon. Once in Oregon the company (Franchise) went out of business. Very sad. The Crews I worked with were always positive and upbeat. Loved the food and customers.

Cons

As a Manager, I would have liked to see more incentives or some bonuses given to the employees for all the hard work they do. Without my Crew, I would not have been as successful as I was.

Advice to Management

At the time, Boston Market was in flux. Too many new items they were trying out. Makes for a difficult time for the Stores to keep up. Find a medium in expansion and grow at a slower pace. Make Boston Market great again.

Other Employee Reviews for Boston Market

1. "A job for kids."

Current Employee - Hourly Shift Manager in Novi, MI
    Current Employee - Hourly Shift Manager in Novi, MI

I have been working at Boston Market part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Touching people's hearts. Satisfaction of a job well done. You generally have plenty of opportunities for advancement. It's up to you to make of it what you can.

Cons

The pay is not really anything to stay for. They are always hiring but don't seem to appreciate their staff and give them incentives to stay. ONly ones that get incentives like bonuses are the GM's and assistant GM. Who never shares it with their staff who helped them to get it. No raises and because its non union opportunities to move up higher than an hourly shift manager are almost impossible.

Advice to Management

To corporate guys. You need more incentives to make employees stay. We've had the WORST year for loss of staff due to the treatment of them. Raises are necessary for the growth of a company though you see it as a loss. Let us as employees have more say in where we think the company should go. Also I HATE the idea that we can't have more flexibility in the menu due to cost cutting techniques. it's like a slap in the face to the guests that we serve when we take their favorite items off the menu.

"Love the brand, dislike the corporate management"

Current Employee - Hourly Shift Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Hourly Shift Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Boston Market full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Sense of pride in the product, mostly healthy food, great presentation
    -High standards for quality, service and cleanliness
    -Easy job for most positions, even management
    -Most stores have down time
    -Employee discount 50% anything under $10, manager discount is $10 free food.
    -Easy hours to work, flexible hours, management willing to work with schedules
    -Easy to please upset customers, easy to confront lying customers (TLOG system ftw!)
    -Uniform isn't super tacky.
    -Menu is easy to learn
    -Crew functions are easy to accomplish

Cons

-Improper training at every level
    -Constant sense of job insecurity due to high standards, some seemingly impossible
    -Management has to use a poor computer system called WebBost, it just is buggy, outdated, slow and the search function is terrible and disorganized and the maps are Bing, enough said.
    -The forecast system seems wonky so managers load too much or not enough proteins and then they are blamed for either not following the system to a "T" or not using their own good judgment (thereby not following the system to a "T")
    -Insufficient promotions. Not enough TV spots, radio ads, billboards, etc.
    -Management is blamed for low sales but has nothing to do with advertisement... we can keep our current customers, and VIPs rarely bring in new customers. Word of mouth is all we have to go on.
    -Strict budget causes some low staffing issues, causes us to run out of products in store, or even paper items like plates or drinks. Some stores in constant states of disrepair or lacking valuable assets like utility carts or extra chicken spits, etc.
    -Poor and incomplete training routines... they have a title called "Certified Trainer" and there is a Certified Training program... with dust all over it, because it's never utilized! It would cost too many hours to properly train a person, so basically everyone is taught on the go, by other poorly trained employees, not even the managers!
    -Low wages, employees are paid just above min. wage, and Hourly Managers are paid about 10/hr with no benefits except you can earn paid vacation time (up to 40hrs a year)
    -Area Managers and up seem very out of touch with the functions inside a restaurant.
    They are aware of policy and don't seem very competent at expressing how to achieve goals, only that you must do it or you are fired.
    -They lack planning abilities, training abilities, and proper acknowledgment of excellence.
    -They allow their stores to look run down to save maintenance money.
    -Some crews are so poorly trained, and lazy. Favoritism is apparent.
    -Poorly trained crews and lazy managers let the dining rooms get messy and bathrooms are rarely if ever checked.
    -Management allows the Food Safety Daily Checklist to be faked quite often.
    -No one gets raises.

Advice to Management

-Spend the time and hours actually training people properly. Make new people sit through videos, actually complete validations without cheating. Two shifts with supervision is not enough at all. One week minimum for all positions. No shortcuts should be allowed to be taught. 100% QSC standard training.

-Use write ups once in a while. Enforce standards every day, to every employee. Not just the ones you don't like.

-Stop keeping old employees who won't learn new standards. Keeping smartasses, people who don't show up for work, or people who fail at their jobs, continues a cycle of bad employees. Make the example that we fire bad workers, and you'll have better workers.

-If you want a task complete, you'd better know step by step how to complete the task yourself.
    You can't tell your managers to fix chicken variances if you have no clue what's causing it.
    You can't tell your managers to fix labor SG if you have no idea why it's so high.
    You can't blame managers for low sales if you have no idea how to increase sales.

You need to come up with detailed plans on how to attack problems and follow up constantly.

You need to pay your managers better.

Get rid of the current employee evaluation system. It's a scam.
    It ensures no one at all is rated high enough to get a raise. Destroy that system. Build a new one. Give people due raises. Give people due promotions.
    Stop promoting people who are already bad at their jobs.