Boston Scientific - great while it lasted | Glassdoor

"great while it lasted"

Current Employee - Master Scheduler in Boston, MA
Current Employee - Master Scheduler in Boston, MA

Pros

Great working environment, pay and benifits

Cons

Company closed our division to transfer to Ireland and I hear now the successful product line we transfered has become a failure

Advice to Management

You get what you pay for when you ship manufacturing jobs overseas

Other Employee Reviews for Boston Scientific

1. "Not a bad place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maple Grove, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maple Grove, MN

Pros

Family Work balance
    Fair Pay
    Good people

Cons

Industry downturn
    stock instability
    Segragated supply chain

Advice to Management

reorganize organization to reduce independant functions and operate an integreated business units.

"Depressing"

Former Employee - Quality in Maple Grove, MN
    Former Employee - Quality in Maple Grove, MN

Pros

The technology is interesting, and you can clearly see how the products affect patient health. Great opportunities to view live cases and see the products in action. I enjoyed the global scope of my work and learning about international operations.

The decent benefits and relatively flexible work schedules were nice.

Cons

The people I worked with were the most depressed and unhappy people I have ever met. Layoffs started happening multiple times a year, and management generally stopped bothering to communicate about them. In the morning you'd come to your desk and hear a broadcast voicemail from the execs announcing the "changes," but you'd have to whisper to people in the hallways to learn who was affected.

My colleagues in the quality division were never expected to leave their cubicles. Face-to-face communication was rarely possible with divisions scattered around the world, and work was tracked and timed in the clunky, rarely-updated database system. Managers openly assigned work according to who pissed them off the most/least, and favoritism was rampant. Office drama and battles were chronic and reminiscent of junior high. INSANE micromanagement. The environment was unbelievably unprofessional.

Product training was minimal to non-existent, which made doing the work difficult - and no one really knew if they were doing the work correctly.

Opportunities for advancement were nonexistent - some colleagues were promised promotions for years that never came to fruition.

Salary negotiation with the job offer was also nonexistent, and dealing with HR during the hiring process was a nightmare. They're not afraid to lowball you on salary due to the economy/current job market.

Advice to Management

Grow up. Respect your staff. Try communicating honestly for once.