Boston Scientific - OK Internship | Glassdoor

"OK Internship"

Former Intern - R&D Intern in San Jose, CA
Former Intern - R&D Intern in San Jose, CA

I worked at Boston Scientific as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I interned for a summer after college. The pay was excellent ($26/hour), and my supervisors were very kind and helpful.

Cons

- There was too much online training
- My work was not challenging, as it consisted of lots of testing and very little analysis and design. I wish this were clearer in the internship posting
- There was only one other intern in my office, and there were very few planned events with interns in neighboring offices. Full-time employees were older, so it was difficult to make friends

Advice to Management

Reduce the online training. Give interns more analytical and/or design work. Hire more interns and plan more social events

Other Employee Reviews for Boston Scientific

"Very orthodox and by the book. Not much room for creative and new ideas."

Former Intern - Industrial Engineer in Fremont, CA
    Former Intern - Industrial Engineer in Fremont, CA

I worked at Boston Scientific as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Respected company with respectful people working there. The clean room is a good environment to work and the people care about the product they're building.

Cons

Company culture is not exciting and does not promote the California style of business. It was very much just a job and everyone could use a little more excitement in their life's.

Advice to Management

Trust your interns and don't require a time stamp everyday for heckuva in and checking out.

"Uber Competitive. Consulting Firm Atmosphere."

Former Employee - Information Systems Manager in Natick, MA
    Former Employee - Information Systems Manager in Natick, MA

I worked at Boston Scientific full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Favorites are rewarded with bonuses and promotions.
    Make a difference in the lives of patients
    Good Commute - not in city
    Excellent cafeteria food. Free Parking.
    Good culture for politicians.

Cons

Management identifies "scape goats" early in career and blames them for when projects are not set up to succeed. Management does not take accountability at all. Ultimately scape goats are put into an HR corrective action and fired.

Even if you are identified as a good steady performer then it is a matter of time before you get laid off. They only want to keep the top 35% of the work force.

Overtime is expected without compensation.
    You are expected to "volunteer" for extra work and if you do not then you will get a bad review.
    Favortism is the mantra of management. Not objective performance.

No....I am not just lashing out. This is an honest review. Just ask someone who works there.

Advice to Management

Sell the company already. Stock price was at $40 ten years ago. They paid 27 billion for Guidant and now the market cap is 9 billion. Now, Stock price is $5. So you can buy BSC for 51% of the $9 Billion and you get Guidant for free!

If you do not like the company then just wait a little while and a new CEO will get hired. They are on their 4th CEO in past 4+ years.