Boston Scientific - Rewarding work coupled with great colleagues. However, lack of communication from top execs must improve. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Boston Scientific

"Rewarding work coupled with great colleagues. However, lack of communication from top execs must improve."

Current Employee - R&D in Fremont, CA
Current Employee - R&D in Fremont, CA

Pros

Respect for all individuals no matter what their function in the company. A diverse culture and a company that seems more progressive than it might seem to outsiders. A good understanding of the organizational hierarchy and business decisions made by management. A knack for senior management to constantly motivate and congratulate the efforts of engineers and technicians.

Cons

Too many reorganizations in the last six months that affected me and my colleagues in a negative way. A good stream of communication from top executives down to all levels is missing. The cafeteria becomes a mad house where waiting for a burger takes 15 minutes--employees are oftentimes seen eating at their cubicles. There is no gym or form of recreation to take your mind off work. Being promoted seems like a case of time rather than sheer merit.

Advice to Management

Get into the labs more often. Communicate with us what we have to look forward to and what sort of business decisions are being made. Understand that you not only have expectations from top executives, you also have expectations from those you manage.

Other Employee Reviews for Boston Scientific

1. "Examine your options carefully"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arden Hills, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arden Hills, MN

Pros

The employees are very open to working with each other to get the job done. We all realize the importance of the work we are doing, and are reminded of that when the company brings in patients who are living their lives because of our devices. The face to face time with the patients provides a great incentive. I have yet to encounter problems when asking for vacation time or emergency leave. Many of the employees will work harder to pick up the slack so when a person returns, there is not a large amount of work sitting at their desk.

Cons

Management scares me. I don't know if it is the lack of communication or my perception of such. Many times, I don't hear about meetings until right before or after they passed. And some of these meetings are on topics that impact employees directly. I also don't see management working to promote employees internally, or when they do, they don't consider performance evaluations.
    I feel that leadership is not always there, nor a commitment to matching deadlines. I have seen too many projects that have slipped behind up to another 50% of their scheduled time. Other projects have been pushed waaaay too early and creates problems for people downstream to correct.

Advice to Management

The first thing is to stress the importance of working with the employees. Support the employees in the planning stages when timelines are obviously non-realistic. Devise effective performance monitoring techniques and use them to better employee performance and also to promote worthy employees. When looking at ways to cut expenses, look at all expenses, not just a select few.

2. "I don't know where the company is heading."

Current Employee - R&D Specialist in Maple Grove, MN
    Current Employee - R&D Specialist in Maple Grove, MN

Pros

The benefit package is wonderful. Learn many new techaniques. Be able to interact with other departmetns to learn from your coworkers.

Cons

it is very difficult to know how to advance in your career. Compensatin is very difficult.

Advice to Management

Take care of your workers.