Bottomline Technologies - Challenge and Opportunity go hand in hand | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Bottomline Technologies

"Challenge and Opportunity go hand in hand"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH

Pros

There is opportunity at BT, I've lived it. Starting with the company five years ago I now make more money than I ever have in my life. My daughter started as an intern this year, was hired in early and is now making a fair salary and has both a technical career path and is excelling at the work and excited about her future. Would I like to be compensated more?..Of course...but it seem's more than a bit naive to have an expectation that a global, public corporation is going to weight everything towards the individual. Any company in this category is responsible to the shareholders and has to try to strike a balance between revenue and expense.

The executive management did a great job of continuing to drive profits during an extremely difficult economic downturn, keeping the company in business as other's were closing their doors. Was that challenging for the worker?...less so than not having a job...and in fact, we've been able to grow the company substantially in these last years, which does open the door for greater opportunities.

This is software development, with a great client base of some of the largest corporations in the world. Are the hours challenging sometimes?...Yes, but if people want a 9 to 5, check in - check out position...they probably should look to another industry to meet those need's.

The greatest asset of BT is it's people. I've never worked with a more dedicated, intelligent and caring group of peers. At the end of the day, however long that may be...I know I've been part of a team of excellence unlike any other...and yes, just as high caliber as any of the largest companies now making software on the planet.

Cons

One could always say compensation could be better, but only each individual can really say what that would be for them.
No clear process for comp time when long hours to hit deliverables is a reality.
Not enough focus on emerging changes in the technology and being far ahead of the competition related to those technologies....example...where will java based software be in 10 years?...I would hazard a guess that it will be completely different...it's great to be aligning with the move to mobile technologies etc....but what will be driving the industry and put the company ahead of the pack 5- 10 years from now? As an evolving company, there need's to be more investment in the long range tech future.

Advice to Management

Listen to your middle-management tier....they are the backbone of the success of BT and allow them dialogue without filters...perhaps create a regular forum for such dialogue, a "BT think tank" , where they can share the intel. They know where the challenges are and addressing those challenges are what create the opportunities for continued success.

Other Employee Reviews for Bottomline Technologies

"the is for and about the share holders; investment in employees is limited"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH

Pros

The health insurance plan is very good.
    The allowance for extra personal time off is really good.
    Most people (peers) were really nice to work with.

Cons

the company is only about making money for the stock holders, now; not much long term vision.
    Pay was low for the work expected from employees. management, in general is not open to the employee base.

"Stay away from this place if you want a life and reapect"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Portsmouth, NH

Pros

health insurance ok - nice grounds

Cons

Total lack of respect for person. Working weekends expected, else job in jeopardy. No feedback about performance, even when requested.

Advice to Management

Realize the is the people that work there - and not only those in management