Box - A place to both grow your skills and leave an impact | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Box

"A place to both grow your skills and leave an impact"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Los Altos, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Los Altos, CA

I have been working at Box full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

At Box you never find a shortage of things to work on. You can continue to grow your skills and expertise by tackling new and different problems more than you can at most other places. In addition, the people you work with are some of the best and from a wide variety of backgrounds. This means you even learn by listening.

And since Box is still a young company with problems and situations that are still unsolved, you can use the skills you learned here or elsewhere and leave a mark on the company. Something you work on will very likely be lying the foundation for future engineers and users. It's up to you to leverage that.

The compensation is pretty darn competitive for the area.

Cons

The compensation could be higher and internal mobility isn't exactly where it needs to be (they are working on it to their credit). And sometimes the opportunities you get means that you will be working some late hours. I've made it a goal to at least leave when there's sunlight at least twice a week. And as expected with a startup mentality, there's a bit of engineers being oncall which can sometimes lead to annoying weekends.

Advice to Management

Start promoting internally.

Other Employee Reviews for Box

"From First too Last in less then Three Years!!!!!!! Bewear!"

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Box full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Three years ago this was one of the best place to work! It was a fun and lively place to work! Sales, Engineering, Customer Support and Management had one goal in mind, TO WORK HARD AND PLAY HARD!!! FREE Lunch but only $8.00 and in SF that gets you an app.

Cons

Talk about the executives making it a horrible place to work!! It happen over night. Once they messed up the comp plans and even worth messed up the territories the place was gone for ever! About 3/4 of the sales team are not even close to hitting there quota! They made it so hard to make money that over 1/4 of the sales team has left the company to go over for other companies that get it. We are in Sales to make money, not to be a salve. Career Opportunities are nonexistent, there is no where to go but stay in the same job for years. They bring in mangers from outside that have little to no experience in SaaS or Management for that fact. Way to kill moral!!

Advice to Management

Replace upper management ASAP! To much middle management. I once reported to the VP of Sales and now there is 6 manager in between him and the sales people. There are VP's that do nothing and no one knows that they do. Just sit and keep earning equity.

"I look forward to coming to work everyday - even with a commute from SF"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Los Altos, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Los Altos, CA

I have been working at Box full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people that work here are 'All Stars'. They are passionate with a history of success - Success in life, work, and outside activities. It is very motivating to work with people like this.

Box as a growing company continues to offer new opportunities to all Boxers. There is constant change, and it is invigorating to look back and see where we were a year ago and where we are today.

Box's Women's Network has strong executive support, and it's awesome to see such a strong female voice in a tech company.

Mentors are readily found outside of the immediate team. Boxers have been awesome about grabbing a cup of coffee to discuss career options, give insight into what their role is like etc. It is really neat the amount of transparency people are willing to give on their day-to-day job.

Cons

We are exiting our start-up phase and maturing into a enterprise company. Needed infrastructure to support our scaling company has created growing pains, but the overall process has been a huge learning opportunity.