Box - Great place to start a career | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Box

"Great place to start a career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Altos, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Altos, CA

I have been working at Box full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people
opportunities for growth
growing transparency
exciting future for the company

Cons

some of the management can be young and inexperienced

Advice to Management

don't promote people (especially into management roles) because they've been here a while -- promote them because they deserve it

Other Employee Reviews for Box

1. "Why I love Box"

Current Employee - Software Engineer, Code Reliability Engineer in Los Altos, CA

I have been working at Box full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere of the work is amazing. I fell in love with the place during the interview. Compared to the big companies I've worked for, they value work/life balance and I have had no problems working here. It's pretty much everything you could hope for in a job.

Cons

Need to move away from PHP

"Career stalemate for ambitious recent grads..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Altos, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Altos, CA

I worked at Box full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very cool CEO, decent snacks, cool product

Cons

Zero career development, sub par benefits, weak lower management

Advice to Management

Box, like many start-ups in the area, fails to provide compelling career trajectories for the elite graduates it attracts. Turnover is especially high among new grads poached from neighboring Stanford and UC Berkeley, and overall job dissatisfaction is high.

Very little is done by HR or lower management to address obvious failures in the system. One of the the biggest problems with Box is that their recruiters (goaded by Levie) demand elite grads (from top 10 universities) and shove them into unfulfilling dead-end roles (I'm looking at you Tier 1 Tech Support Representatives, Customer Success Managers, Sales Development Representatives, etc.) under first-time managers who have no idea how to manage employees of that caliber.

The result? A culture of under-challenged, underemployed worker bees that are pretty much treading water career wise. My advice to Levie and the executive team would be to clean house of under-performing managers that stifle ambition and innovation, and invest in fostering the development of high-potential new hires. As it currently stands, this worrying trend of hiring externally and putting career development on the back-burner will only cause Box to continue bleeding top talent.