Boy Scouts of America - Camp is a great experience, but management is very political. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Boy Scouts of America

"Camp is a great experience, but management is very political."

Former Employee - Aquatics Director
Former Employee - Aquatics Director

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Extremely rewarding.
Coworkers become a family.

Cons

Very political, a lot of brown nosing will get you places.

Advice to Management

Be more selective about camp administration. They have weeded out some great people who genuinely cared and replaced them with low-quality employees

Other Employee Reviews for Boy Scouts of America

1. "I love this job!"

Current Employee - District Executive
    Current Employee - District Executive

Pros

I do not have a scouting background, but I love the organization, and my job. I keep waiting for that feeling I've had with other jobs where you just don't like it anymore, but I don't get that with this job. I am more than willing to do things at night and on the weekends, because I love the organization and the volunteers.

Cons

If you do not have enough volunteers, it is difficult to perform well

Advice to Management

I think that things are ran very well.

"Not a smart career move!"

Current Employee - Office
    Current Employee - Office

Pros

Very liberal vacation days
    After almost two years working within the office this is the only perk that cannot be found with another company.

Cons

Reviews are not based on merit rather based on the mood of the council
    Management talks down to staff members.
    Management thinks volunteers are stupid (funny since this is volunteer ran)
    The workload balance is way off. 2 people to handle over a dozen counties as well as being personal secretaries to 8 people.
    Follow-thru doesn't happen.
    NO Respect is given to non-management staff.
    Pay for non-management is barely above minimum wage while entry level DE's start at $35,000 a year and Scout Executive makes over $120,000 a year.
    Scout Executive has very little knowledge on management issues - it is all about how to make the numbers look good so he gets a good review with no acknowledgement that it took everybody to accomplish his goals.
    There isn't a policy and procedure manual so the rules change everyday.
    If the management staff wasn't solely focused on numbers all the time they could produce better quality programs.
    Working conditions stink!!!!

Advice to Management

Start making a mandatory management class before someone can be a Scout Executive.
    Follow-up on the Scout Executive. Ask the current staff questions rather than walk in and ignore them. Have clear rules so staff cannot change them to suit their needs. Make it mandatory for all councils to have a policy and procedure book and check to make sure it is followed. Focus more on quality rather than quantity - if we had consistant quality programs the quantity would follow. Check to make sure management doesn't abuse hourly staff. This seems to be a big problem. The Scout Oath and Law is not followed by the management staff and management should be the standard others follow.