Boys Town - Helping Youth and Families is my passion. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Boys Town

"Helping Youth and Families is my passion."

Current Employee - Family Consultant in Omaha, NE
Current Employee - Family Consultant in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Boys Town full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The work is challenging but very rewarding. Full benefits at hire. Lots of support from supervisors and many opportunities for growth including on-going training, educational scholarships, and educational reimbursement.

Cons

It's hard to keep things balanced some days. We work with kids and their needs don't always occur between 8 and 5. Some days are long, but it's the effort that makes things so rewarding. We get to see the kids and their families change and become better prepared for life outside of Boys Town. Working at Boys Town isn't for everyone. You must learn have a heart for helping others, be able to manage yourself in some stressful situations, and be wiling to put in the long hours which are sometimes required.

Advice to Management

Keep growing and never stop looking for all we can do to help those in need.

Other Employee Reviews for Boys Town

"I had three different directors, and all were the same."

Current Employee - Anonymous in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Boys Town full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The youth, benefits from the start.

Cons

Management management management. I'm not a disgruntled employee who was fired and just complaining to complain. I am a current employee going on three years who has done well within the organization. I stay for the kids and the experience. Directors and managers are beyond rigid. The entire model revolves around positive reinforcement, empathy and praise. The two programs I've worked in couldn't be worse about those three things. The model isn't made to be rigid; it only works if each employee is allowed to be themselves while teaching, verses being a robot that the kids don't respect. Problem is, management is never there to actually observe...they rely on looking at your teaching interactions on paper and go off ratios. They have absolutely no skills when it comes to using positive reinforcement with their employees either. They only give feedback when it's something you're doing wrong. I'll stop here because I could go forever...oh and pay is NOT GOOD.

Advice to Management

Act like you actually care if we were to stay or go and listen and accept our feedback for once. Also, pay is awful for the hours and stress involved.

"disappointing, not the job that was described at the interview"

Former Employee - Family Teacher in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Family Teacher in Orlando, FL

I worked at Boys Town full-time

Pros

The kids that you are able to make an impact on give you hope. The benefits are good. You meet all kinds of kids who need guidance.

Cons

The management and their lack of support. The kids that are admitted on drugs. The 17 hour days everyday without help. The kids with criminal records are sometimes harder to reach.

Advice to Management

Need to offer more support to employees.