Bridgewater Associates - A great place to start a career in investments | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Bridgewater Associates

"A great place to start a career in investments"

Current Employee - Investment Associate in Westport, CT
Current Employee - Investment Associate in Westport, CT

I have been working at Bridgewater Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Bridgewater hired me right out undergrad (where I was a Liberal Arts major) as an Investment Associate. I've been here for 3.5yrs. I'm really glad I came for the following reasons:
-I've found the culture really fulfilling - work with brilliant people who push me hard to get better, but care a lot about me. As a result, I think I've grown a lot here.
-The Investment Associate class - a nine month crash course on how to be an investor - was outstanding. Better (and harder) than any class I took at school.
-Even past the first year, strong focus on training and developing. "Trading game" is a good example of a training tool - Bridgewater will take the other side of any global macro trade you want to make (big or small), and your profit or losses comes out of your bonus - a great way to get your hands dirty in markets and testing your ideas.
-Work is hard, thought provoking, and interesting. I seem to be more challenged and stimulated by my work than my friendsw who pursued other careers (esp. banking and consulting).
-Great career opportunities. High ability to try out different roles to get different experiences.
-I work with really fun, cool people. Really like my co-workers and bosses.
-Lots of resources and willingness to experiment with good, innovative ideas. A place where you can be very entrepreneurial if you are able to do it.
-The set of clients and folks that pay attention to our research is impressive - you have the opportunity to influence the understanding of people who matter.
-People and policies are flexible and reasonable. Easy to go to the gym or a run the middle of the day.
-Beautiful office, in the middle of basically a forest and wetland.
-Great pay and benefits, particularly if you stick around for a few years.

Cons

-Biggest for me is location in Westport CT rather than NYC.
-Relatedly, Bridgewater's telecommuting options suck. In certain departments and role, you can't work from home without a (rare) exception for a particular project.
-Hours aren't great, though not banking bad. I average working about 9-9 M-Th, 9-5 Friday, and 2 hrs on weekends. (totaly of 55-60 hrs). Lots of flexibility though (Usually I can leave early no problem if I want to)
-For those who may want to switch careers within macro hedge funds, you got to wait a couple years (go to business school) due to non-compete agreement.
-I love the culture -but its not for anyone. With open feedback, you have to have a thick skin sometimes.
-Company facing growing pains related to a lot of new hiring over the last 4yrs, including inexperienced people bumping into eachother.

Advice to Management

Allowing greater telecommuting is an easy way to make employees a lot happier. Be more transparent about pay and benefits so people understand what they are getting into.

Other Employee Reviews for Bridgewater Associates

"Cloudy with a side of meatballs"

Current Employee - Client Service Coordinator in Westport, CT
    Current Employee - Client Service Coordinator in Westport, CT

I have been working at Bridgewater Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pros at Bridgewater associates are pay, free lunch and happy hours. The people are friendly and are well aware on how to play the cultural management chess game.

Cons

The culture is easy to understand, yet management has a difficult time making it work. Truth and transparency are the key points and as easy as that sounds management become what is known as ninja's; using principled languange to spiral an issue down to the non-management employees, rather than owning the issue and understanding how their management skills are lacking the knowledge of their people and/or processes.

Advice to Management

Focus on developing yourselfs, but be sure to pay it forward to the levels below.

"Exponential Personal Growth"

Current Employee - Candidate Lead Manager in Wilton, CT
    Current Employee - Candidate Lead Manager in Wilton, CT

I have been working at Bridgewater Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Because of my working at Bridgewater for the past almost 3 years, I am a better manager, better husband, better father and better goal achiever (to name a few). I'm grateful that others who care about me have pushed me as hard as they have, I'm grateful that I'm in an environment where I can push others just as hard and I'm grateful that I've had the opportunity to intellectualize the company principles.

It’s amazing that someone like me who is overconfident, lazy and forgetful, who doesn’t plan well, who doesn’t think about the 2nd and 3rd order consequences of actions well, who has trouble with verbal communication, who is a narrow thinker and who struggles with really seeing things from other people’s perspectives (to name a few) can truly succeed at Bridgewater. Why can this be the case? For the simple fact that I know all of these things about me (and others know as well) and am working hard to ensure they are front of mind in every decision I make. 3 years ago I knew none of this. I’ve learned how my ego (essentially making decisions to maximize for me looking good) inhibits me from getting to the truth and making progress. I’ve learned that I make lots of bad decisions based on really bad assumptions (including assumptions I didn’t even know I was making). I’ve developed a sickness to incompetence and desire not to accept it.

Whether or not you agree or disagree I strongly suggest (which I do so to all of my close friends and family) you read the company principles and get whatever benefit you can from their “self-help” nature. Having reminders such as “make sure you realize what you are missing” and “make sure you consider whether the other person really knows what they are talking about” (to name just a couple and paraphrased in my words) should have immediate positive impact on you in both your professional and personal lives. Ray recently articulated that Bridgewater’s way of being is “meaningful work and meaningful relationships through radical truth and radical transparency.” Very accurate, very well said and in my opinion is at the core of why Bridgewater is unique and great.

Cons

Upsides far outweigh the downsides however it isn't without cons. There is impact to my family in the sense that hours are longer than my work in a different industry prior (but less a function of Bridgewater and more a function of the financial services industry and my ability to deal with it well) and because of Bridgewater's high horsepower environment I'm usually pretty tired when I’m home and take a little while to unwind and recharge (again, these are likely more a function of my inability to deal well vs. a set expectation by management).

Advice to Management

Use Greg Jensen who is, in my opinion, a really cool and innovative CEO and mentor to many as a more strategic asset on the external branding. Would like to see him get out more and either sit in with Ray on interviews or do them himself.