Bridgewater Associates - I've been at Bridgewater now for 5+ years and cant imagine working somewhere else | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Bridgewater Associates

"I've been at Bridgewater now for 5+ years and cant imagine working somewhere else"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westport, CT
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westport, CT

I have been working at Bridgewater Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The Community - the people are what make a place and the people and relationships you build working here are really one of a kind and long lasting. You are surrounded by really smart people with all different and interesting life experiences, who work hard, care a lot about this place and will have genuine conversations with you about what they think and push to help you get better. There is no talking behind peoples backs or shady decision making happening behind closed doors - its an open environment where we work through problems and feedback together and in that, creates very trusting and honest relationships. If you want to be at a place where you can just be yourself and surround yourself with other people doing the same thing, this is a great community to be a part of.

The Personal Growth– I have learned so much about myself while working here, which has helped me evolve both professionally and personally. It’s just such a cool experience to think about who I was when I joined, how much I have grown in these past 5+ years (i.e. I’m a much better problem solver, more open minded) and to imagine what my journey will be like as I continue to evolve in the future. The rate of improvement and learning here is like nowhere else I have experienced and it’s just such a unique opportunity to be at a company that fosters so much personal evolution and learning.

Ability to Make Impact – this place and your job really are what you make it. You have a set of goals and responsibilities but how you achieve those things can really be up to you. This place wants independent thinkers, people who strive to make things better, will put themselves out there with ideas and have the drive to take on projects or improve how we are doing things. In my experience here, I really have seen this to be true. We are a growing firm with lots of change happening so it’s really an exciting time to be a part of this place and the opportunity to make an impact really is huge.

Cons

Work/life balance can be tough – I think because the people that work here are so passionate about what they do and this place, it can be difficult at times to maintain that work/life balance and go home when you know there is so much to be done. Over the years, I think I’ve for the most part been able to manage it OK (because I know there will always be tons to get done, but am comfortable prioritizing the things that have to be done and the stuff that can wait until tomorrow), but I’ve seen this as something many colleagues have struggled with.

Other Employee Reviews for Bridgewater Associates

"Run away as fast as you can."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westport, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westport, CT

I worked at Bridgewater Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Intelligent colleagues, good pay. Beautiful location.

Cons

Strange, self-deluded upper management, and others try to emulate. Narcissism runs rampant, which is counter to what "The Principles" express. Weird meetings where people tell the "truth" about each other. Mostly an opportunity for people to tell you what's wrong with you in an abusive way. It's like group therapy with a very sick therapist in charge. Cameras follow you everywhere, meetings and conversations are recorded. Might as well live in Soviet Russia. Very, very weird place. I'd say close to a cult. This is a place where people come to score a lot of money and then leave as quickly as they can.

Advice to Management

Learn real self-reflection, not the kind that boosts you at the expense of others. Try to understand that when you say that people "fail out of Bridgewater," you're simply revealing your own biases and lack of understanding.

"A great place to start a career in investments"

Current Employee - Investment Associate in Westport, CT
    Current Employee - Investment Associate in Westport, CT

I have been working at Bridgewater Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Bridgewater hired me right out undergrad (where I was a Liberal Arts major) as an Investment Associate. I've been here for 3.5yrs. I'm really glad I came for the following reasons:
    -I've found the culture really fulfilling - work with brilliant people who push me hard to get better, but care a lot about me. As a result, I think I've grown a lot here.
    -The Investment Associate class - a nine month crash course on how to be an investor - was outstanding. Better (and harder) than any class I took at school.
    -Even past the first year, strong focus on training and developing. "Trading game" is a good example of a training tool - Bridgewater will take the other side of any global macro trade you want to make (big or small), and your profit or losses comes out of your bonus - a great way to get your hands dirty in markets and testing your ideas.
    -Work is hard, thought provoking, and interesting. I seem to be more challenged and stimulated by my work than my friendsw who pursued other careers (esp. banking and consulting).
    -Great career opportunities. High ability to try out different roles to get different experiences.
    -I work with really fun, cool people. Really like my co-workers and bosses.
    -Lots of resources and willingness to experiment with good, innovative ideas. A place where you can be very entrepreneurial if you are able to do it.
    -The set of clients and folks that pay attention to our research is impressive - you have the opportunity to influence the understanding of people who matter.
    -People and policies are flexible and reasonable. Easy to go to the gym or a run the middle of the day.
    -Beautiful office, in the middle of basically a forest and wetland.
    -Great pay and benefits, particularly if you stick around for a few years.

Cons

-Biggest for me is location in Westport CT rather than NYC.
    -Relatedly, Bridgewater's telecommuting options suck. In certain departments and role, you can't work from home without a (rare) exception for a particular project.
    -Hours aren't great, though not banking bad. I average working about 9-9 M-Th, 9-5 Friday, and 2 hrs on weekends. (totaly of 55-60 hrs). Lots of flexibility though (Usually I can leave early no problem if I want to)
    -For those who may want to switch careers within macro hedge funds, you got to wait a couple years (go to business school) due to non-compete agreement.
    -I love the culture -but its not for anyone. With open feedback, you have to have a thick skin sometimes.
    -Company facing growing pains related to a lot of new hiring over the last 4yrs, including inexperienced people bumping into eachother.

Advice to Management

Allowing greater telecommuting is an easy way to make employees a lot happier. Be more transparent about pay and benefits so people understand what they are getting into.