Briggs & Stratton - Good-old boys do not find fresh talent. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Briggs & Stratton

"Good-old boys do not find fresh talent."

Current Employee - Purchasing Manager in Wauwatosa, WI
Current Employee - Purchasing Manager in Wauwatosa, WI

Pros

It is the leader in its industry and has excellent benefits. Working for the leader means in purchasing I can get the best prices, because I have the volume to negotiate better pricing.

Cons

Briggs is really run by a family. The CEO's father was the CEO also. It is difficult if you are not in one of the families in this oligAfter a while, you stop trying, because it is impossible for you to advance if you are not related to some one in the oligarchyarchical company. Also, the personnel department has too much authority and interferes with the departments in the company.

Advice to Management

Allow people who work to rise in the company instead of moving relatives up..

Other Employee Reviews for Briggs & Stratton

1. "Awesome company"

Pros

I have the opportunity to work in the engine group sales organization. Very interactive, open door policy from our VP, clear expectations, held accountable but not micro managed.

Cons

Run by accounting practices and our world is not always just black or white. Need to understand our place in the market.

Advice to Management

Get out of the numbers and remember people are your best asset

2. "Office Position"

I have been working at Briggs & Stratton full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A good mix of both long-timers and recruitment of new talent outside of the organization. The majority of employees are pleasant to work with and there is generally cooperation between departments.

The company has been in business for over a century, and they have a solid place in the market. They are always looking to grow, expand into other markets, and develop new technologies.

Cons

As I'm sure it is with many other companies, there always feels like there is a push to do more with less. Often, the employees have the ability to do a job right, but need to cut corners to make sure a project is complete due to mounting responsibilities.

Advice to Management

For the most part, my direct management has done the best they can given their situation. They can be put in a difficult position, being between directors/vice presidents and the people they manage.

One piece of advice I would give to management is to be as honest and genuine with those you manage as possible. Employees may not always like what they hear, but often they will understand. At the very least, they will have the appropriate information to make the best decisions for both themselves and the company.