Brigham Young University (BYU) - Great learning experience | Glassdoor

"Great learning experience"

Current Employee - Web Developer in Provo, UT
Current Employee - Web Developer in Provo, UT

I have been working at Brigham Young University (BYU) part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The environment helps me learn new skills and the people are great. People here are very friendly. The challenges I faced allowed me to expand my understanding. My employer and coworkers are very easy to get along with. I set my own hours every four months and I can adjust them when necessary.

Cons

The culture here is obviously centered around the LDS Church and everyone who works here has to abide by the standards of the church. This could be seen as a con by some people.

Other Employee Reviews for Brigham Young University (BYU)

1. "I am fortunate to work with great students and teach subjects that I really love."

Current Employee - Professor in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Professor in Provo, UT

I have been working at Brigham Young University (BYU) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very bright students, great physical facilities and computers, supportive colleagues, fairly good technical support, freedom to develop course content, encouragement toward personal and professional growth

Cons

Capricious departmental leadership, over emphasis on student evaluations, some stifling of dissent, hypocritical "support" for teaching but true evaluation based on scholarship,

Advice to Management

Be more careful to ensure that department chairs receive training on how to administer an academic department, based more on consensus than on top-down fiat.

2. "Great opportunity to work while in school in the program your interested in."

Current Employee - Teacher Assistant in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Teacher Assistant in Provo, UT

Pros

Great flexibility with school schedule. Lots of social interaction with students with in your program and from others. Learn behind the scenes of how things work.

Cons

Some days can be real boring. Working more then 20 hours during the fall/winter semester is very difficult to even get or convince anyone to get. Wish could be allowed more hours.

Advice to Management

Allow students to work more in fall/winter semesters.