Brigham Young University (BYU) - Teachers Assistant | Glassdoor

"Teachers Assistant"

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Provo, UT
Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Provo, UT

I worked at Brigham Young University (BYU) part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people and a wonderful department. It was great to work with so many dedicated students. They treat their employees well. It was an engaging environment that allowed me to add to the education of my fellow students

Cons

Having to grade the students work when the student did not understand the assignment. You felt bad failing someone for putting time and effort into answering the wrong question.

Advice to Management

Continue to support the TA's

Other Employee Reviews for Brigham Young University (BYU)

1. "Great Education experience through coursework and research in BYU's Chemical Engineering Dept."

Current Employee - PhD Candidate In Chemical Engineering in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - PhD Candidate In Chemical Engineering in Provo, UT

I have been working at Brigham Young University (BYU) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most professors sincerely care about their students personal lifes and research progress. You're giving a lot of autonomy to direct your own research. Most students are given the opportunity to hire and manage undergraduate research assistants. All Master's and PhD candidates are given a stipend.

Cons

Still in school! Have limited resources so must work with you have or can afford.

Advice to Management

Schedule and hold a weekly meeting with students to get updated and give students set time to get help and advice from you.

2. "Relaxed, Slow, Non-progressive"

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Laie, HI
    Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Laie, HI

I worked at Brigham Young University (BYU) part-time (More than a year)

Pros

For pros, I could set my own schedule while studying as a student. It was one of the higher paying jobs available to me as a student.

Cons

The pay was never enough to survive on, even with all tuition covered by scholarships and after a slight pay raise of $0.25 after a year of employment.
    I never felt connected to opportunities to grow or expand my horizons despite working diligently and producing high-quality results.

Advice to Management

A higher pay rate is a must, especially in Hawaii where the cost of living is some of the highest in the world. a one-bedroom apartment is usually $1400 in the area surrounding the school. There is no way to survive on a $9/hr pay rate epsecially when limited to 19hrs/week.