Bright Horizons Family Solutions - The McDonald's of ECE | Glassdoor

"The McDonald's of ECE"

Current Employee - Teacher in Alexandria, VA
Current Employee - Teacher in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The kids get me through the day. Every now and then, a passionate teacher comes along who's number one concern is the children. That is always refreshing when it happens. The HEART principals are a great theory. That stands for Honesty, Excellence, Accountability, Respect, and Teamwork. They are supposed to be the guiding principles of the company.

Cons

The number one priority seems to be branding of the centers and financial gains. I am not free to be creative, and if a child comes along who doesn't meet typical developmental patterns, I feel very restricted in making accommodations for that child because branching away from the guidelines is not the "Bright Horizons way." I am not trusted as a teacher. All written communications must be sent out by administration, and that can only happen after a lengthy submitting process, a corrections list, and an official approval. Many of the other teachers are not able to use a computer, write a complete sentence, or use common sense. I believe that the lengthy list of ever changing rules has made people so focused on following the rules that a logical decision cannot be made outside of administration providing an official guideline. It is also cut throat. We are constantly bombarded with the importance of branding and being competitive in getting more students enrolled with the threat of job loss of this is not done. When you walk in the door, you are given a "show." You are told of many wonderful aspects of the center, but those things are fabricated and do not actually happen. The staff are actually prepped for a tour and coached on appropriate activities to lead during tours so as to insure that nothing iffy happens during tours.

Advice to Management

Spend some time with the children enrolled in the centers. Spend some time getting to know the teachers. A rule does not need to be created for each and every situation if you employ educated teachers with common sense. Pay those teachers a competitive salary that they can actually live on. When I am treated like an hourly hired help, my confidence begins to disappear, and I loose the skills that made you hire me in the first place.

Other Employee Reviews for Bright Horizons Family Solutions

"Anonymous former employee"

Former Employee - Teacher
    Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you are at a center that cares, then Bright Horizon is the place to be.

Cons

If you work at a very unprofessional place, such as downtown, Atl. Ga. then Bright Horizons is not the place to work at. Some of the teachers have been there for a long time, and are not open for new suggestions from other experienced teachers. The management there does not help teachers treat each other fairly, or encourage them to work as a team. They keep all the bad seeds there and let the good ones go.

Advice to Management

I feel that when you have excellent and new teachers that come work for Bright Horizons, and then all of a sudden they are fired, you need to look into the reasons why? Because sometimes it is not the employee, but bad management, or jealous employees that do not want to see another person climb the ladder of success.

2. "teacher"

I have been working at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

positive and supportive, lovely facility

Cons

summer schedule is variable difficult to plan around