Bright Horizons Family Solutions - The McDonald's of ECE | Glassdoor

"The McDonald's of ECE"

Current Employee - Teacher in Alexandria, VA
Current Employee - Teacher in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The kids get me through the day. Every now and then, a passionate teacher comes along who's number one concern is the children. That is always refreshing when it happens. The HEART principals are a great theory. That stands for Honesty, Excellence, Accountability, Respect, and Teamwork. They are supposed to be the guiding principles of the company.

Cons

The number one priority seems to be branding of the centers and financial gains. I am not free to be creative, and if a child comes along who doesn't meet typical developmental patterns, I feel very restricted in making accommodations for that child because branching away from the guidelines is not the "Bright Horizons way." I am not trusted as a teacher. All written communications must be sent out by administration, and that can only happen after a lengthy submitting process, a corrections list, and an official approval. Many of the other teachers are not able to use a computer, write a complete sentence, or use common sense. I believe that the lengthy list of ever changing rules has made people so focused on following the rules that a logical decision cannot be made outside of administration providing an official guideline. It is also cut throat. We are constantly bombarded with the importance of branding and being competitive in getting more students enrolled with the threat of job loss of this is not done. When you walk in the door, you are given a "show." You are told of many wonderful aspects of the center, but those things are fabricated and do not actually happen. The staff are actually prepped for a tour and coached on appropriate activities to lead during tours so as to insure that nothing iffy happens during tours.

Advice to Management

Spend some time with the children enrolled in the centers. Spend some time getting to know the teachers. A rule does not need to be created for each and every situation if you employ educated teachers with common sense. Pay those teachers a competitive salary that they can actually live on. When I am treated like an hourly hired help, my confidence begins to disappear, and I loose the skills that made you hire me in the first place.

Other Employee Reviews for Bright Horizons Family Solutions

"Exhausting, But Sometimes Worth It"

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Bright Horizons Family Solutions part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are a few amazing teachers who are still passionate about their jobs and can still make it exciting, The smiles on the children's faces and their laughter, and some of the families, locations all over the world for transfer opportunities

Cons

Disorganization & Miscommunication:
    There are so many rules floating around this place it's impossible to keep up with them all! There are many directors, education coordinators, and teachers, and ALL of them have their own ways and opinions of doing things. There are specific rules for each class/age group but you'd never know most of them until you break one, because they are not taught in training. There needs to be some sort of Bright Horizons "Bible", so staff can access these "rules" and licensing guidelines at all times. I've been told too many times "That's not how we do it here. And the famous "Have you worked with kids before"? All because I did something not necessarily the wrong way, just contrary to the Bright Horizons way. Too much kissing up to and walking on eggshells with the parents. Tell them the truth the 1st time so you don't have to bend your staff backwards trying to accommodate petty requests. This is how burn out begins. Throw in all the paperwork and NAEYC requirements and it's no need to wonder why there's such high turnover here.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees. Invest more in your Substitute teachers, because they are also the future of your organization. They change diapers, clean, and are present just like your teachers (some are actually better than the teachers). Encourage the parents to respect and acknowledge them too.
    Quality vs. Quantity: Just because you can shove 20 kids in a room with 3 teachers, or 12 -13 infants in a room with 4-5 teachers doesn't mean you should. Quality does get lost fast when you're trying to give breaks, bottles, art projects, and outside play and your lead teacher is pulled out of class for yet another meeting and no one is sent to take her place. I know money is the hidden factor here, but sometimes you really have to make that tough call: will this really benefit the kids or my wallet?

"Employee"

Current Employee - Lead Infant Teacher in Elmsford, NY
    Current Employee - Lead Infant Teacher in Elmsford, NY

Pros

hmm... the children.... the children are the best part of this job.
    We do value differences amongst the children and staff. Such as religion, culture, ethnicity, family practices and beliefs.

Cons

We as early childhood educators are perceived as babysitters, "daycare workers," etch, It is so annoying and insulting. Many teachers, including myself, are college graduates who have extensive training on early childhood care and education. We need more money. The fact that this company is as successful as it is and has the tuition rates it does; they should pay their teachers more! I feel like we have the "Daycare," stigma because of this!

In addition, I see that Infant teachers are paid less than Preschool teachers, excuse me, but that is nonsense. I have a non-stop day, where I am multitasking to the fullest. I have the same exact responsibilities as the other teachers, plus more! Just because my children are under the age of 1, does not constitute less pay for me. If anything, Infant teachers should be making more money than any other teachers in the program! The infant room holds the highest tuition rate, yet the teachers are paid less? The Infant Department is the most valuable, in my opinion. We are the marketing source! Meaning, if a parent is able to trust us with their 6 week old infant, and has an incredible experience, as my parents do, they will want to continue with the rest of the program. This is why there is a horrible turn-over in early childhood businesses!

Also, corporate needs to get a grip on reality visit some east coast centers and experience a day with us! I am so sick of receiving orders and listening to what they "expect," out of us! It is becoming less and less about the children's needs and more about branding the Bright Horizons name! Get over yourselves and focus on developing quality programs and not quantity dumpsters that have low enrollment!

Advice to Management

Take care of your teachers and other staff! Having a strong team is what makes a quality center!