Brightside Academy - Enjoying the difference in environment | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Brightside Academy

"Enjoying the difference in environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Brightside Academy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is changing a lot of their policies, procedures and staffing. Within the last three months I have seen a large change. The company is based on serving underprivileged families in economically challenged areas, it goes without saying that funding can be tight for staff - but who gets into teaching for the money? I think they work well with the resources they have and they are getting better. They are trying to progress all of their sites to a hire academic credential to receive more funding. I like that they are trying to run a school based on early development not just a daycare where kids run around all day. Maybe people do not realize that why we have the education crisis that we do in the inner-city because people are quick to label and they do not want to reach out and assist. Well, they can continue to enjoy the disparity they see in relation to housing and education if they keep an attitude about what is "ghetto" and not. I don't mind working with the company because they are addressing a need that many others shy away from. You can work for bigger daycare places that pay more money but the underprivileged are not going away and people should see clearly that it will never go away if we do not educate our youth. We all need to live, but shame on you if you think you're better off not teaching children in a lower economic neighborhood. Not everyone is born with a silver spoon in their mouth - and Brightside is trying to grow a generation that will be able to "give spoons" to the generations coming.

Cons

Pay is lower than other places, and so some do not want to work with the company. This equals to less staff.

Advice to Management

Pay should be more competitive to alleviate some of the stress that current teachers have. In this way staff won't get "burned out"

Other Employee Reviews for Brightside Academy

"The Company Has Little To No Respect For Their Centers Staff"

Current Employee - Lower End Supervisor in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Lower End Supervisor in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Brightside Academy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They're are NONE...Unless you consider your fellow co-workers are sinking in the same ship you're in!

Cons

Poor wages to say a degree is required for most positions. No Real Benefits, No Pension! Childcare teachers are required to have a degree but our thoughts, inputs and suggestions are not taken into consideration. They claim they have the children's best interest is a lie. They don't serve the children a healthy well balance meal, it's all process meals, saturated in fats, sometimes served burnt and cold...For the meals...beware! They don't care how many behavioral children they place in a room, rest assured if the teacher is ratio there is no other help given to her. Teachers have been kicked, hit, spat on by behaviorally challenged children and the children are still allowed to remain in care, if the teacher makes a fuss about the issue, they are reprimanded. Teachers are bounced around from center to center in some cases the centers are on the other side of the city and since we're not given ample pay most teachers depend on public transportation and may not be able to get their...they are then told "Go Home" even though we applied and we're hired at the center that was convenient for us. In addition "Full Time" doesn't mean "Full Time" there are many times you are sent home when the center doesn't have many children. You are penalized if not fired for given your opinion There is nothing I can say positive about this company...nothing at all!

Advice to Management

If you're not going to listen to your teachers, because you feel you're above them, then pay attention to the negative blogs and websites such as this and read the negative publicity you're receiving because this your worst PR. In addition look at other large daycare centers, who truly cares about their staff and the children. Look at their incentives, benefits and pension packages...better yet their pay scale. You place your centers in the worst urban areas, without care of safety for your older staff who use public transportation, to walk through those areas either very early in morning or towards evening alone.

"It was a wonderful experience to work with the company."

Former Employee - Taught Summer Program
    Former Employee - Taught Summer Program

I worked at Brightside Academy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The children need someone who is lovable and compassionate.

Cons

They did not have enough things for the summer program to do. Especially while the children were napping. That is why there were behavior problems.