Brink's, Incorporated - Good people, low morale, struggling leadership | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Brink's, Incorporated

"Good people, low morale, struggling leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coppell, TX
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coppell, TX

I worked at Brink's, Incorporated full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked with some really good people at Brink's, and I learned a lot while I was there.

Cons

Brink's is a very old-fashioned company that preaches about innovation while resisting change. There was very little cooperation between sales and marketing, and all efforts to change that were met with strong resistance. Some of the mid-to-upper management were out of touch with the rest of the organization, and many were just downright arrogant.

Advice to Management

When employee morale is down, badgering them about not working hard enough isn't going to fix things. There are other ways to motivate. If you're going to preach innovation, try reading about what innovative companies are doing for their people.

Other Employee Reviews for Brink's, Incorporated

"Regime changed to despotic dictatorship ruled by fear and intimidation"

Current Employee - Messenger in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Messenger in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Brink's, Incorporated full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Due to tight hiring requirements many decent coworkers, plenty of hours

Cons

Overtime only worth regular hourly wage, substandard benefits, terrible work/life balance, unpredictable shift end times, career movement impossible due to consolidation rude and forgetful management, Wages too low for risk involved.

Advice to Management

It is non-conducive to a healthy workplace to have supervisors who constantly yell at people to get them to work harder. It drives most of the best people away, and leaves only the people who NEED to be ordered around at the end of the day. If you have to resort to a tyrannical leadership model who can openly say to subordinates that they cannot be trusted, you should not be providing them with firearms. The degree of investigation to hire new employees should indicate you have trustworthy individuals capable of doing the job they are given!

"Was once a great company, but now in the decline."

Former Employee - Driver in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Driver in Chicago, IL

I worked at Brink's, Incorporated full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The name looks good on a resume. The company provides almost everything you need to work, (free uniforms, weapons, ammo) you only need to pay for your own boots and ballistic vest, and they offer discounts on those. They have a few corporate partnership programs that can get you personal discounts on things from cell phone service to office supplies. Unfortunately, just about every other pro has disappeared.

Cons

Very poor management has created a host of problems, not the least of which is the neglect of the bottom-rung employees.

When I started with this company, they bragged about their preferences to promote from within. In the seven years I was there (during which time I had well over twenty supervisors who came and went), it was very rare that a promotion came from within, and when it did, they didn't last long before they were shown the door.

The benefits were once first-class, but they've been seriously cut. They forced most departments to go part-time, which eliminated all benefits for them entirely, but for those that are still full-time: They reduced 401k matching to almost nothing, they cut back on overtime availability, they reduced the cap on overtime, raised the number of hours required before you hit time-and-a-half, raised the margin required to be achieved to begin profit sharing bonuses.

They repeatedly cut the number of trucks on the street, adding the existing workload to the remaining crews, yet insisted they remain under the same overtime constraints.

The workload generally prevented actual lunch breaks for most crews, and many even felt the need to carry containers to collect bodily fluids, to help them get their work done in the time limits given, avoiding penalties given in the form of reduced hours for the offending employee.

While I can't speak as to specifics, the company also reversed several safety and security related policies and procedures, putting more liability and risk on the street crews, in an effort to save money for the corporation.

While there was a single supervisor there who was in place for my entire time at the company, who actually did make an effort to work with his subordinates to get the job done, and was willing to help out employees if they needed something, he was only one of many.

Oh, and nobody ever believes me when I tell them how little we got paid for the work we did.

Advice to Management

Poor management has created an environment where the employees who are essential for the sustained profitability of the corporation, feel that they've been thrown into an "every man for himself" battle with branch-level management, and has created an SOP of wasting time throughout the day, to pad the standard route time to avoid having more work load put upon them, so they still have time for delays without being penalized.

If this isn't fixed, there will never be improvements.