Bristol-Myers Squibb - BMS is a great place to work. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Bristol-Myers Squibb

"BMS is a great place to work."

Current Employee - Senior Research Scientist in Wallingford, CT
Current Employee - Senior Research Scientist in Wallingford, CT

I have been working at Bristol-Myers Squibb full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Not micro-managed as long as you are on top of your work. Respected for my contributions.

Cons

Frequent layoffs result in low morale.

Advice to Management

Recognize people that work independently on model development as you would those screening for programs.

Other Employee Reviews for Bristol-Myers Squibb

1. "Bristol-Myers Squibb is a wonderful company to work for."

Former Employee - Oncology Territory Manager/District Sales Trainer in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Bristol-Myers Squibb full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Their employee training programs are excellent. They treat their employees fairly. They are willing to promote from within. Their sales reward trips are first class.

Cons

In the 8 years I worked for them. I didn't experience any negative situations. I left for personal reasons, not because I didn't enjoy working for them. I would go back in a minute.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"You need to weigh the pros and cons."

Former Employee - Technical Specialist in East Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Technical Specialist in East Syracuse, NY

I worked at Bristol-Myers Squibb full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Noble mission; decent benefits; interesting industry; multiple locations options. Some very flexible working options, depending on who you are. Pay is good comparatively (especially for Syracuse, NY); Prestigious resume builder. Some folks who are from the old days are valuable, intelligent and provide great training to "newbies" out of college and those looking to get into more corporate level environments, but unfortunately, they are a dying breed.

Cons

Extremely bureaucratic; management heavy (many layers); very conservative in various segments of work; extremely political; "good old boys club" to the max, relatively diversified workforce racially, but women and those with ethnic backgrounds are not usually in management positions. VERY limited growth potential (I was actually told in my interview by HR director that all director level jobs were sourced outside the company.) Very very dependent on high levels of education in roles that might not require it; outsourcing people who have run the plant successfully to save money; lack of transparency with public; consistent fear of negative publicity leads management to make poor choices. I could go on and on. Working here literally made me sick to my stomach.

Advice to Management

Do not forget those who are living at the "bottom" of your totem pole, for you are nothing without them.