British Council - A mixed bag | Glassdoor

"A mixed bag"

Former Employee - English Teacher
Former Employee - English Teacher

Pros

Professional colleagues and good prospects for career development
Huge network and opportunity to work in a variety of settings
Free reign given to teachers in how they tackle course targets.
Maximum 24 hours teaching per week
Very good middle management

Cons

Big class sizes
Emphasis on profit maximisation...contrary to mission statement.
Lack of flexibility, inspiration and leadership from senior management.
Too hierarchical

Advice to Management

Try to integrate with staff more. Adopt a more collaborative culture. Trust your staff. Communicate more effectively.

Other Employee Reviews for British Council

"A lot of "back door" policies"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bucharest (Romania)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bucharest (Romania)

Pros

People who are not in key positions are some of the best professionals right now.
    The values of British Council are very important to me, personally.
    THe work the British Council does changes the world for the better.

Cons

Management doesn't care about employees, but acts like it does.
    Values are not upheld.
    Strategy changes dramatically every year.
    Change management doesn't exist.
    People with ideas are not listened to.

Advice to Management

The should be more upfront about decisions and strategy, even if it's not comfortable for them. Employees value transparency and handle bad news better when they are explained.

2. "I myself find the way to gain good skills in dealing with children's matter, administration work and customers."

Former Employee - Temporary Staff of Teaching Centre in Ho Chi Minh City (Vietnam)

Pros

English Environment: improve English, have chance to work with native spaeakers: exchange cuture and lifestyle, make friends with them
    Good reputation
    Have chance to push myself in the solving problem situation to make myself more responsible, skillful and hard-working.
    work with many new, talented and sweet temporary staff when work in Teaching Centre Department.

Cons

not have many opportunities for my future career, means not chance to be promoted.
    not support fully to fulfill my job: unclear guidance and still exist unfairness in tasks.
    not have a good welfare although working for long time in the temporary staff.
    having a big gap, terrible treatment in allowances or any bonus in holidays

Advice to Management

I admired some managers in BC, they are not only talented, but also sympathize with colleagues, help colleagues in their life's matters and support them with high appriciate like Education Marketting Manager and Customer Service Manager. On the other hand, some leaderships are still unqualified in dealing with their jobs, not sympathize enough. From these description, I wish to work with good skills, have precise view when work with colleagues and gain the fairness: not only for the relatives but also for the new staff.