British Heart Foundation - Overall a pleasant yet fairly average experience | Glassdoor
  1. "Overall a pleasant yet fairly average experience"

Toy Department Volunteer & Till in Hemel Hempstead, England

I have been working at British Heart Foundation

Pros

Have volunteered with this company for about 4 years. The people I have and do work along side are all rather friendly and welcoming which helps to make the time I am there volunteering my time a decently pleasant experience. Always seems to be something to be getting on with even in a such a small size shop.

Cons

The only thing I struggle to understand is that there seems to be a real shortage in the number of volunteers who are able to help run the place. Meaning that as a volunteer myself that the paid managers seem to think I'm reliable enough for them to ask for me to do lots of extra hours and days rather often. Doing tasks such as being on the till for most of a full 9 to 5 day from time to time. Which is back when I... was still in education when it started to get a bit much until I politely had to reinforce the fact that I can only do one day a week at this point in time as I had originally promised and had always stuck to. Since leaving education I don't mind a few more extra hours here and there than what I would of been happy with doing in my educational years until I get into paid work but still find it hard to come by when asked to put loads of extra time and effort in especially as a volunteer.

Advice to Management

Staffing especially in terms of volunteers could do with being thought about as a nation wide aspect especially when you think about what the title of a "volunteer" really means.

British Heart Foundation2019-07-09

British Heart Foundation Response

July 15, 2019

Hello Thank you for all your hard work over the past 4 years , your support will have been so very beneficial to the shop team. It is important that volunteers are happy with the hours they are contributing and if they ever feel it is getting 'too much' they are free to reduce their hours as necessary . Volunteering should be flexible and should fit in with a volunteer's other commitments such as family , education , paid work , other hobbies etc. So I'm glad you were able to reduce your volunteering hours to a level that suited you better. Thank you for your review . Jo - Volunteering Team

1. "A great cause and a great job."

I have been working at British Heart Foundation full-time for more than a year

Pros

The organisation is constantly looking to improve it's performance and try new ventures. There is freedom to go about your job in the way that you think is best for the charity.

Cons

Little training on offer Very London focused, would have I love to London Head Office (GLH) to progress.

British Heart Foundation2014-07-07
  2. "N/A"

Former Employee - Leadership

I worked at British Heart Foundation full-time for more than a year

Pros

No comment to add at this time.

Cons

Not an ideal place to work.

Advice to Management

It needs to change

British Heart Foundation2019-07-30

British Heart Foundation Response

July 31, 2019

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We are really disappointed to hear you had a negative experience with us. If you would like to discuss the issues confidentially please do reach out to us at careers@bhf.org.uk.

Discover more reviews about British Heart Foundation.