Brivo - Decent co-workers, CEO with pet peeves | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Brivo

"Decent co-workers, CEO with pet peeves"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Pros

The co-workers are good people.
Decent benefits from being a subsidiary of a bigger company

Cons

Have to live with the CEO's pet peeves, including strict 9-5 "flex hour" work day and odd pet peeves (They have a camera mounted to point at the kitchen sink. I kid you not).
CEO is fairly clueless about the underlying technology.
Commute into Bethesda to meet 9-5 schedule is a pain.
EVP announced that the office was open after a snow storm, and none of the executive team showed up to the office.
CEO hired his kid as an intern for the summer. Nepotism, anyone?

Advice to Management

Get a real CEO that has real management experience.
CEO should stop using the company/office as his own personal place. It's owned by Duchossois group.

Other Employee Reviews for Brivo

"Great place to work!"

I have been working at Brivo full-time

Pros

Nice people
    Relaxed work environment
    Access to executives
    Bagel Thursdays
    Discretionary Time Off
    Interesting work
    Great location - close to metro and lunch spots
    Ping Pong tournament / table

Cons

For me personally, it's a close to an hour commute from the city but I have the ability to work from home if I need and so far the commute hasn't bothered me!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! I appreciate the monthly all-hands meetings and company updates.

"Amazing people but no clear direction from upper management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Brivo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work alongside some talented and dedicated Engineers who get it done!
    I got to work with some great engineers who are dedicated to their craft. They are the reason it was hard for me to leave. The #1 reason to stay is that you are surrounded by bright and talented people throughout various departments who will work with you to solve problems and deliver an amazing product. When provided an opportunity, we knocked it out of the park.

Modern Tech Stack (Java, Mobile and Cloud Tech).

Location -- metro accessible

Agile methodologies.

Cons

Too many #1 priorities!!!
    Engineers and Product Managers are spread too thin and are NOT put in the best place to succeed. This has to be addressed, as upper management needs to commit to a direction. They need to understand that providing a service requires continuous grooming of the product. These products cannot be released once and just be left alone. Despite the level of talent of the engineering team, moving targets and conflicting directions make it nearly impossible for any team to maintain a high level of quality.

High turnover in departments like marketing and product management.
    I saw more than a 100% turnover within marketing during my tenure. Also close to the same within product management department.

A couple of individuals have toxic mindsets and often kill morale.
    There is too much talent within the engineering team to have their creativity and decision making be suppressed. Instead of demoralizing these engineers, collaborate and pair more often. Solving problems is a team exercise not an individual exercise. Often times it takes multiple iterations before the best solution can be found.

Advice to Management

COO and CEO must to get on the same page. They are both inspiring and have great insights individually. Imagine what this company can accomplish if the CEO and COO did a better job together compromising on a single direction.

Invest in refining the existing products. The ideas and products are already there, they just need refinement. Become more research-driven in your decisions as opposed to gut feelings or "on a whim" decisions.

Product Management must be empowered and trusted to make decisions on the product/platform direction.

Empower engineers to be more creative. Talk to them about the company's long and near term goals. Allow them to have input in how they will be assigned to contribute towards those objectives. This will improve morale. Don't throw engineers under the bus for petty mistakes. Collaborate and retrospect when things don't go well. Look in the mirror, retrospect, and share what inspires you to do better. Shared vulnerabilities brings teams together. This will better lead to success.