BroadSoft - Small comes with opportunities and challenges | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for BroadSoft

"Small comes with opportunities and challenges"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gaithersburg, MD
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gaithersburg, MD

Pros

Management has a relaxed view of people & organization and happy to see smart ideas bubble to the top. In general, there's a good concern for the well being of employees and a general sense of fair play. The organization is a mix of long termers and newbies. A general curiosity to try things out encourages out of the box thinking

Cons

It's a small company and in the end 2-3 management members make all the decisions The good is a fast decision process, the downside is sometimes they're wrong and queuing to get mindshare is often difficult. Management has never run large companies and their personal style is sometimes hard to convey across a far flung organization.

Like any older organization, there is a "friend's of Mike" CEO club, protected employees who can "do no wrong" and with such a small management team, the risk is you fall into disfavor with management and out the door you will go.

Advice to Management

It's a daily challenge in telecom with stormy seas, Tessler has certainly made more right decisions than wrong. Mike has a loyal band of followers, some of whom are less than competent, but trust is often more important. Unfortunately, this breeds a "YES" man culture which may not help Mike ultimately make the right long term decisions.

Other Employee Reviews for BroadSoft

1. "Great company culture"

Current Employee - Junior Software Engineer in Chennai (India)
    Current Employee - Junior Software Engineer in Chennai (India)

I have been working at BroadSoft full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been seeing some negative reviews about BroadSoft Chennai on Glassdoor and of course every one is entitled to their opinions but it's remarkable how I don't remotely relate to them.

1. GREAT company culture. Most people here are super approachable, including the director himself. During the exec factory meeting this year, we found out that this approachability goes right up to the co-founder of Broadsoft as well. That, I would say, is the best part of this company.

2. Diversity. I'm a different state here and most of my team-mates are Tamil, i.e., natives of Tamil Nadu. It's amazing how there's exchange of information happening frequently regarding both the states, languages, famous people of our state, etc.

3. Frequent tech-talks. Our director makes it a point that regular tech-talks happen in our office. This goes a long way in gathering and sharing knowledge about various topics, provides good exposure and improves public speaking skills.

4. Relaxed environment. Unless and until there's some release happening soon, the work pressure around here is bearable. There is no rigidity regarding dress code or work hours. They only bother about the work you do and how well you do it.

5. Humility of manager. I won't speak of the other managers, but I have been lucky to have a humble manager. Our manager is knowledgeable obviously and can handle the job well but is also open to learn from her sub-ordinates if they know something she doesn't.

Cons

Few cons which kind of pale in comparison to the pros:

1. Absence of good non-veg food options in the cafeteria.
    2. Not too many people on the surface still know about the work Broadsoft does. But that's soon going to change.
    3. Less on-site opportunities. Would like more opportunities to explore all the branches of Broadsoft around the world. Would provide good exposure and opportunities for knowledge sharing.

Advice to Management

Even if there is politics here, it still hasn't impacted me at my level. So, according to me, what I can see is that the management is doing a pretty good job. Only advice would be to keep it up or be even better in future.

"Managers Paradise"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chennai (India)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chennai (India)

I have been working at BroadSoft full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is no variable pay.
    The employer's PF is not part of your CTC.
    Occasional work from home option.
    New office @ Chennai has a decent parking unlike the old one. No need to park vehicles on road side.

Cons

There is no real systematic feedback mechanism available for an employee to post his/her views on manager/management/company/hr/policies etc., whereas a systematic feedback mechanism available for the appraisal process of the employees for the managers. :)

There is just a townhall meeting happens rarely where the whole branch is present and you can discuss only high level things.

Because of this the issues with manager or within the team will not be avoided proactively but will only be handled reactively and it all depends on different people getting involved, their interpretation and how they want to take up the issue etc.,

Some teams follow agile, some teams doesn't follow any process, some teams are flat, some teams are bureaucratic. It all depends on the manager. I don't know whether the company has a guideline on this.

Some lucky managers are technically weak and they have been promoted too fast. If you are technically sound and end up reporting to them you'll have a tough time facing their ego, insecurity feelings and nonsense questions. You'll be clearly cut off from the US manager, mail threads and even from other team members also.

Canteen service and food is not really good.

Advice to Management

If you feel that your company is a global company then build a global culture. Build and implement processes that has proper checks and balances for everyone and that are always bidirectional. Make a direct connection with the employees.

BroadSoft Response

Feb 21, 2017 – Manager Human Resources

Thanks for your feedback and appreciate your review on the team's management practice. We take on board your comments and hope that some of our planned initiatives via One-BroadSoft will align with ... More