Brookdale Senior Living - Improving location, unified management. Good Corporate Support. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Brookdale Senior Living

"Improving location, unified management. Good Corporate Support."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chino, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chino, CA

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong teams working in this community.
Always felt respected from others.
Good Atmosphere.
Improvement under current ED

Cons

Staffing is sometimes short.
Small remnants of prior management philosophies remain
Outside Visual of community is deceiving as it is a nice community inside.
Incorrect demographic area for this type of community

Advice to Management

Please watch communities like this that are diamonds in the rough. They need employees that can complete goals but do it with the cornerstones in mind. Hire carefully and nourish this staff.

Other Employee Reviews for Brookdale Senior Living

"Brookdale"

Current Employee - Occupational Therapist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Occupational Therapist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Overall a good place to work

Cons

bean counters are counting beans

Advice to Management

back off on the productivity.

"I love the job and the people with whom I work and serve."

Current Employee - Sales Counselor in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Counselor in Tucson, AZ

Pros

Opportunities for advancement.
    Mission driven company- can feel good about working for them; they practice what they preach.
    The seniors!
    Can have great staff, but may be luck of the draw depending on community and region.
    Good resume fodder- name recognition working for the big dog.
    Good reputation.

Cons

They recently made my position (sales counselor- i.e. #2+ sales person/non-managerial) a non-exempt position (hourly). This meant that I had to watch the clock and make sure that I was punching in and out at specific times and had to report variances to my manager. A bit annoying.

Their training needs some refreshing. I was required to complete obsolete systems training that hasn't been updated in years (small annoyance- time waster).

As a public company, you feel the pressure to perform- unfortunately, sometimes this comes in the way of threats from regional managers. (This may be an industry problem, where regional managers feel like they need to breathe fire down the necks of communities.) Unbalanced pressure to hit marks at end of month when average monthly is a better indicator. Small nuance, but poor evaluation metrics used here may have altered behaviors in less that optimal ways.

I've heard ED's with longer tenure complain about every new RDO/VP's new projects. The problem is that these change with the turnover of the position and those positions tend to turnover very rapidly (perhaps due to the nature/on-the-road lifestyle of the position?). This means that ED's don't have respect for RDO/VP's because they feel like they will change tomorrow and have new/reversed marching orders. I'm not sure that ED's feel like the Regional/Divisional people understand their communities and what it takes to make them run smoothly.

Advice to Management

Do you really need to have pulpit-pounders for region/divisional managers? BKD does a great job at hiring loving, sincere EDs/other community managers, but that seems to go out the window with many of the RDO/RSMM/VP positions. That ends up filtering its way through the company and communities very quickly and doesn't seem to align well with the mission and cornerstones. I realize that some of these people may be able to lead well with carrots when the market is stronger, but when the market is down everywhere in the nation and they feel pressure for their communities to perform, it seems that they are suddenly leading through by fear and old-school militaristic tactics. I love how community managers tend to lean away from that type of management and I believe that corporate probably has it figured out as well, but I'm not so sure about divisional and regional players have it figured out.

Advice: Consider hiring outside the industry for these positions (RDO/RSMM/VP) if you can't find someone how can lead effectively (not just for quarterly numbers, but for long-term company health). Don't sugar-coat those positions- when they get burnt out and leave, it hurts everyone. Consider ways to make those positions better for families= longer stints for those positions. Maybe by reducing their geographic reach.

May also consider taking the teeth out of their position. This will force them to lead with carrots and perform in more of an advisory role.