Brookdale Senior Living - Innovative Senior Care, a division of Brookdale Senior Living | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Brookdale Senior Living

"Innovative Senior Care, a division of Brookdale Senior Living"

Current Employee - Physical Therapist in Cleveland, OH
Current Employee - Physical Therapist in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (More than a year)

Pros

New electronic medical records is efficient and easy to use. Great coworkers.

Cons

There are many diverse sites of operations. The one "Brookdale model" of service delivery doesn't work well across all facilities. Encouraged to over-utilize therapy with residents just to improve the bottom line. Wide difference in work area and equipment from one facility to the next.

Advice to Management

Make Mid level management more accessible to professional staff.

Other Employee Reviews for Brookdale Senior Living

"The WORST Company Ever"

Current Employee - Resident Assistant in Monroe, NC
    Current Employee - Resident Assistant in Monroe, NC

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living (Less than a year)

Pros

get paid every two weeks, given an option to eat a meal for your break, some friendly co-workers and at least one or two sic that does care about their staffs, holiday pay, and you get your schedule in two weeks advance

Cons

daily standup meetings (this is a meeting that you have the stand and is usually pointless)
    favoritism between sic, managers, ED, etc and hourly associate
    managers will place blame on their employees
    if you do not like working with old people then you should NEVER apply unless you're truly desperate
    underpay and overwork
    managers does not care about you but only themselves and their money
    gives you too much work for you to handle
    very stressful
    do not want you to work overtime
    you must punch in and punch out at a specific time (ie: you cannot punch in more than 7mins earlier than you schedule time and if you punch in 1min after your schedule time to be off then you are tardy)
    you must take exactly 30mins break
    residents can be unpleasant and rude
    you have housekeeping duties, kitchen duties, server duties, and much more
    lazy employees who should be fired but get away with things
    they dont care if you have other responsibilities
    managers and corps dont cared about you
    residents' families can be difficult and annoying
    i HATE this job and will quit as soon as i find another one

Advice to Management

take your job seriously and take in your employees with consideration

"Brookdale"

Former Employee - Waitstaff in West Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Waitstaff in West Hartford, CT

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The smiles on the residents that could be pleased with our services

Cons

Many of the family of the residents walked around like they owned the place...and us, as staff. 2 realatives only came to the residence because of the bar and the free wine. One day, I caught one of the women BEHIND THE BAR!!! I asked her if she minded waiting for the bartender and she walked back to her seat. When I walked away to tell the bartender, who was in the kitchen making sombreros for a few minutes, the lady went back behind the bar! When the bartender when back to the bar, she asked the women not to go behind the bar again. The women said, very rudely, "Did the girl tell you?" (I am a young server). The fact is that, the woman had no concept of where she can and cannot be, because of liability. As staff, we are supposed to keep the residents and their family safe and it is difficult to do that if we have to baby-sit middle-aged adults (relative) looking for free alcohol. In another instance, a resident cussed in my face and made a large scene because she wanted a meal that we could not offer her and then she demanded that we go out and get her the ingredients for her meal..in the middle of service. The branch that I was working at is an INDEPENDENT living facility. If we cannot provide what you want, we cannot help you. We would be more than happy to help if it were an assisted living facility and if the resident had an aide that could get the ingredients, but we aren't. The point is that people ignore the fact that there is liability and a point where we cannot help a resident. Resident and relative are not in control. The raises was pocket change. And my co-worker, who was only 17 and living on his own, could barely support himself with the pay he was getting. Also, when I started, I had a racist manager who did the hiring in the dining room. She only hired those of the hispanic or African-American heritage; it had been that way for years. I am white and the only reason why I got hired was becasue I was a volunteer and the ED encouraged my employment. I quit because of the poor pay, racism, and the unimaginable rudeness of the residents towards myself and others, who are so young.

Advice to Management

No leadership. Management lets the residents and relatives get away with anything and everything. Step it up