Brookdale Senior Living - Great residents, lousy corp management | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Brookdale Senior Living

"Great residents, lousy corp management"

Former Employee - Dishwasher in Huntsville, AL
Former Employee - Dishwasher in Huntsville, AL

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great residents, like visiting your grandparents every day, some good employee's if it can keep them.

Cons

Lousy pay, worked too death, complaining up & down the chain of command does nothing, you live in fear of losing your job, with upper management looking for any opportunity to get rid of you for someone cheaper despite never having enough people in some departments & jobs.

Advice to Management

Quit treating people like they are a resource that needs to be striped mined.

Other Employee Reviews for Brookdale Senior Living

"Ehhh, the managers need more management training!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kenmore, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kenmore, NY

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people that work there are great! Most residents really appreciate the services that everyone provides. Alot of people work well as team players there. Many facilities all over the U.S.

Cons

The managers need to care more about employees. Some of the residents should be in dementia care, or a skilled living facility. Some residents treat the staff badly, as if you are beneeth them. Managers gossip about staff to much. Managers feel anything they say is ok. Managers talk about staff to other staff. Most managers are very unprofessional. Not many options to move up.

Advice to Management

Come talk to employees one on one withouthouse managers there, and you will get honesty from staff about what is really going on there. Make managers take management classes at least once every two years! Take the confidential employee hotline into consideration, if you have more than a couple employees calling and complaining, then it is not just "discruntled employees". After every complaint no one from corporate came and spoke to any employees, and it doesn't change, just gets worse!

"Regional Management; shame on you!"

Current Employee - Executive Director in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Executive Director in Austin, TX

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

health benefits are OK but there is very little to recommend about this company. The nursing side appears to have more cohesion, however every nurse I have spoken to complains they are overworked, so I don't know. Operations, Sales, Dining, Care staff, maintenance... experiences are simply horrible across the board.

Cons

complete lack of training, no corporate support, broken promises to employees of all levels, little to no regional support, quality of patient care seriously lacking, turnover is simply HORRIBLE

Advice to Management

Ive been reading the previous comments, and sadly must agree. However, let me add one more thing as an ED; those who want to make positive change are hogtied. We want to hold accountable the employees that are constantly calling in or doing poor work... but the moment we do, an "anonymous" call is made to the integrity line. Regardless of how justified a write up is, we are consistently hand-slapped by our RDO's or HR. Training is RIDICULOUSLY lacking from ED's on down, yet ED's are held responsible for corporate values when no training is provided on such. This company may be large but that is not indicative of their comparative success; look at the sheer volume of negative experiences compared to any other corporate website. Numbers dont lie. After 2 years I have had enough; utter lack of support, poor pay for my care associates and dangerous conditions for my residents... I'm tired and I'm out. If you are contempating taking on a position with Brookdale... RUN dont walk in the other direction. Do whatever you can to dodge this bullet.