Brookdale Senior Living - No appreciation for the employees who have stayed. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Brookdale Senior Living

"No appreciation for the employees who have stayed."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brentwood, TN
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brentwood, TN

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time

Pros

Some great people to work with, great location, the employees in the communities that I have dealt with were great.

Cons

Finding out about what happened at Glenwood Gardens doesn't surprise me at all. All anyone in management at Brookdale cares about is the bottom dollar and blame shifting to keep their own bottoms out of hot water......I have been with this company for many years and watched it grow tremedously. I always thought that a growing company was supposed to be a good thing. Not for Brookdale. At one time your supervisors and management team made you feel like family. However, all that matters now is the almighty dollar. It's sad really. Brookdale at one time was a company that I bragged about and would love to have people come work for. Now, due to the way of the management team, I wouldn't have anyone come in to be demoralized the way they have done numerous people.

Advice to Management

Actually care about your residents who are the reason you're in business. Listen to your employees. They are the ones who deal with the communities on a daily basis and can have great input on what you are looking to do. Stop demoralizing and taking the happiness out of who you have left. Stop promoting people who kiss up and brown nose. I guarantee there was someone who was so much more knowledgeable available for a promotion.

Other Employee Reviews for Brookdale Senior Living

1. "It's just as good as any other, I guess."

Current Employee - Occupational Therapy Assistant in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - Occupational Therapy Assistant in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They provide a lot of lunches and occasionally free toys as a way of saying thanks. Hours might get cut if the patient load isn’t there -- I’m okay with that as it beats getting laid off. It's easy to get transferred to another facility (provided there's an opening).

Cons

They cut all the bonuses in half and they can only be attained now during Years 2 through 7 of employment. For the life of me, I don't see how a company as big as Brookedale/ISC can't get cheaper insurance rates for its employees. It’s embarrassing to compare what I pay to somebody else who pays half of what I do working for an employer who isn’t even nationwide. I also have a friend who works for a lawyer -- $18 Q fortnight for insurance coverage just for himself. What a crock of crap. I’ve never worked for a company who had such bad insurance before … maybe “embarrassing” isn’t a good word. Humiliating might be better. If I were Brookdale/ISC, I think I’d be hiring somebody else to do some renegotiating. There has to be an insurance company in the good ole US of A that would LOVE to offer better rates to Brookdale/ISC.

Advice to Management

Mgmt could care less what their employees think... in that respect, Brookedale/ISC is no different than any other company.

2. "excellent company"

Former Employee - Sales and Marketing Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales and Marketing Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great management. For a for profit publicly traded company, they do a great job putting residents first. The company is focused on putting the needs of families and seniors first

Cons

It is a for-profit company with many ambitious goals . Many people that don't understand corporate America may not be a good fit for this company. It is not a mom and pop operation. There are executives and shareholders that need to be pleased as well.