Brookdale Senior Living - It's not assisted living, its a nursing home! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Brookdale Senior Living

"It's not assisted living, its a nursing home!"

Current Employee - Home Health Aide in North Tonawanda, NY
Current Employee - Home Health Aide in North Tonawanda, NY

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The residents are what keep me coming back. I feel I do a good job while other aides just do not show any compassion. My boss works around my schedule and is understanding.

Cons

Downsides are: Not enough pay for what we do. They work us like dogs. I work 2nd shift and I do everyone else's job on top of my own. It is suppose to be an assisted living facility and its not. We have people w/ hoyer lifts, foleys, spoon feeding them, 2 person assists etc. Etc. We are doing c.n.a. Work and getting paid h.h.a. Rates. I do not like the mandation (if someone calls off the next shift; you have to stay 4-8 hours over.

Advice to Management

Get it together. Pay us what we are worth. Come in & see what really is happening behind closed doors. Kitchen is disgusting.....flies on food that they serve. The only time they tidy up is when o.s.h.s. Is coming. Get a better communication system so we dont have to go looking in every room fot another aide if we need help. There should be a shift differential pay. Days has nursing & management help. 2nd & 3rd shift have no-one & so much responsibility.

Other Employee Reviews for Brookdale Senior Living

"Productivity is the only concern for ISC"

Former Employee - Occupational Therapist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Occupational Therapist in Chicago, IL

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Being able to work with residents long-term across both home health and outpatient services and as someone else said I after working for ISC I now appreciate my new job so much more (if only I'd left before being bullied out while 6 months pregnant)

Cons

1. very little respect for therapists and basically no effort to retain them, benefits that were promised were constantly being cut, 2. therapist are responsible for creating their own caseload with little concern re: whether there was truly a skilled need or responsible use of pt's Medicare coverage, 3. therapists are blamed if they do not create a big enough caseload/have cancellations that affect productivity, 4. chronically understaffed, 5. no admin support for non-billable tasks that must be accomplished, 6. very ineffective management from the top down providing little support even when therapists seek it out, 7. no guaranteed hours unless you want to drive to cover any building in the network (some up to 1 1/2 hours away with no consistent policy re: mileage/time reimbursement) meaning you could lose benefits at any time

Advice to Management

Please actually read and listen to these concerns and begin seeing your employees as assets rather than mere income generators, those who suffer the most in this type of environment are the residents we're meant to serve

"OTR SNF, O/P, HH (Innovative Sr Care)"

Current Employee - OTR
    Current Employee - OTR

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Location convenient, variety of experience at different levels of care, good internal rehab team (minus nursing),

Cons

Up and down hourly with no guarantee of hours or they will send you out to cover at other sister facilities or HH/OP. Poor corporate management with little investment in clinical supplies. Lack of true rehab approach beyond the rehab dept at SNF (nursing very LTC oriented). Productivity pressure with little to no clerical back up and assistance for nonbillable patient intervention. Vacation during holidays has to be requested months in advance and approval is based on availability of coverage. Not enough PRN staff and company refuses to use agencies so frequently NO coverage available and expectation is that staff will just handle it.

Advice to Management

Support the rehab team and program by providing needed supplies/equipment, seeking rehab nurses for rehab units and not just LTC nurses; show staff you value them and make effort to retain good employees, not just let them become frustrated and then leave. Put your money where your mouth is......invest in hiring a LARGE pool of PRN staff or bite the bullet and agree to work with a therapy agency to be sure pts get the care they deserve and staff get the chance to take off time.