Brookdale Senior Living - Overall, like every other job it has its pros and cons but I love the residents and for the most part my job. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Brookdale Senior Living

"Overall, like every other job it has its pros and cons but I love the residents and for the most part my job."

Current Employee - Server in The Villages, FL
Current Employee - Server in The Villages, FL

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love the residents and my supervisor is completely understanding when it comes to my college classes and is always able to help when it comes to figuring out a good schedule to balance work and school without cutting into my hours.

Cons

We have quite a few slackers and it is hard to keep employees, they always seem to be quitting which makes the job much more harder than its supposed to be. Also we have horrible vacuums that don't do their jobs and upper management since I've been there (almost a year now) said we would be getting new ones but so far no vacuums.

Advice to Management

We need to be able to schedule more hours to the people who are good, strong workers without having to worry if we go over our 37.5 mark a week especially if we are considered full time.

Other Employee Reviews for Brookdale Senior Living

1. "They have their ups and downs everywhere you go. ESP on the western region"

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

wonderful place to work and care for senior residents. Usually staff and managers are great teams to work with. Just depends on the Community's ED person and the management team. Food is mediocre now good but looks like they slopped it on a plate but the activities are better, the care is great. housekeepers are good needs more direction in cleaning properly, couple of servers need more training on etiquette and mannerisms when serving and speaking to residents during dinner, concierges are 1st to see when you walk in and with all they seem to do they don't do well. but for their customer service in person and on the phones, its great. Staff seems over-worked buy trying to maintain a smile. Would have loved to keep working here but just cant handle the Days of Our Lives Drama from the managers, with Brookdale could have transferred me to a different community but it was time to move to something better in life. (And I did get something much better)

Cons

you can put 1,000% into the job. residents and staff can vouch for it but when you get that 1 manager who work and sit around and complain and not socialize with residents but have time to socialize with other managers definitely not talking business, numerous times in a day( i.e. 5X pr day average staff and residents notices) and have their families come by and stay for up to 4 hours is not good. When the manager singles a staff member out in a meeting in a negative way and not in a generally speaking way, its not good. It makes the staff member feel like they are being singled out and bullied because of the words and tone coming out of the person leading the meeting. Staff used to be happy and gave the community their all. And I mean they gave it their all to where they used to have residents and families come into the community with smiles and the look of being proud that their families are being well taken care of and joy is being spewed in the community. Its to the point where residents are calling the ombudsman often and calling corporate to complain. working during lunch has been an issue. and doing other managers jobs and other staff's jobs is being done as well. We have lost many residents and staff because of this. There are staff members who cannot leave because this is the only thing they know and the ages that they are if they leave they may not be hired by another company who will pay them the same amount and the times they can work. And it don't help that you take important issues to managers, things that are suppose to go up the chain seems to get swept under the rug. Complaint of staff works beyond scheduled times and already clocked out. They don't care if you are a single parent with small children. can not bring in your children/teens to volunteer with activities (even when they used to go to church with residents) but ok for certain managers to bring in babies for up to 4 hours on any given day while not doing their job and play with the baby with residents. We cannot bring in our teens into the lobby with a book or laptop while they wait for staff to finish a meeting or for an hour till that staff member is off work. Not fair management team.

Advice to Management

Listen to residents and families. Take the time to listen and communicate to everyone. Don't just put people to voicemails or to someone who cant help. Acknowledge everyone equally not just buddies.

2. "Resident Care Coordinator/ Lpn"

Current Employee - Resident Care Coordinator in Burlington City, NJ
    Current Employee - Resident Care Coordinator in Burlington City, NJ

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Family like environment where everyone is treated with respect and dignity.

Cons

Being limited with company advancement for Lpn's

Advice to Management

Consider Pro Temps for RCC's.