Brookdale Senior Living - Company has lost sight of their mission statement | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Brookdale Senior Living

"Company has lost sight of their mission statement"

Former Employee - Executive Director
Former Employee - Executive Director

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

wonderful residents and family members, direct care associates are the hardest workers

Cons

backstabbing, lack of communication, blame shifting, company values are not consistent with mission statement and cornerstones, low pay, high turnover, lack of respect of associates,

Advice to Management

adhere to mission statement and treat associates as human beings, problem solve not blame, seek solutions and be open minded, be kind and stop gossiping

Other Employee Reviews for Brookdale Senior Living

1. "My experience has been very positive."

Current Employee - Patient Account Representative in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Patient Account Representative in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked for this company for almost three years now in one of the corporate offices. I am a regular, hourly paid associate. In my 35 years of working for various organizations, this is the best company I have worked for. The core values are constantly stressed on all levels. The associates are recognized for outstanding work and positively encouraged on a monthly basis. The company encourages the associates to recommend family and friends for employment so I was able to get some of my family much needed jobs. We are very active in the Alzheimer Association donations and from what I understand we're one of the largest contributors in our region. Fearing the 'evil corporation', I have generally worked for small companies most of my life. But, BSL has completely turn my view around. I have had other job offers for better pay, but I genuinely love it here and don't want to leave. Again, I work in one of the corporate offices and am only commenting on my own observations.

Cons

Like any company, there are going to be some negative people. BSL is no exception. The challenges I have experienced are due mostly to those type people. However, on the few occasions I have had any trouble, the situation was taken care of to my satisfaction. Training is not a strong point. For the most part the associate has to find needed resources from other associates or on their own.

Advice to Management

Spend more time addressing the issues some of the communities are having with clerical problems. For those in management who did not ascend through the ranks, have them spend some time with/shadow the therapists, nurses, PARs, COAs, etc, in order to better understand the basic workings of the company.

"Enriching the lives of those we serve with compassion respect excellence and integrity."

Current Employee - Sales Counselor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Counselor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A company that cares about the residents and associates.

Cons

lack of first hand experience by some upper management in the daily routine of community life.

Advice to Management

get acquainted with the every day routine of what happens in your communities. Spend a week shadowing to get a better understanding of what really happens on the front lines.