Brookdale Senior Living - This company has gotten too big to realize whatnot Who is important.... | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Brookdale Senior Living

"This company has gotten too big to realize whatnot Who is important...."

Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Leesburg, FL
Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Leesburg, FL

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company has plenty of room for advancement, has decent benefits, and great people to work with.

Cons

Don't try and change things or even question your managers because it won't get you anywhere.There is NO training.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people who are making you the money and are interacting with each other and residences. Believe in your own BS!

Other Employee Reviews for Brookdale Senior Living

"Treated Like Trash...kicked to the curb!"

Former Employee - Regional Operations in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Regional Operations in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Better than nothing, if you can't find a job anywhere else.

Cons

I was a respected regional leader one day I received an email saying they "didn't need me anymore". I was fired from my position through an email. I was treated like a piece of trash. No performance review and no explanation. I can only believe my firing was part of the need to eliminate leaders to make room for the incompetent Emeritus leaders joining Brookdale. Now that I am gone, I keep hearing from more and more leaders, they are being terminated or asked to leave to make room for the very leaders that messed up Emeritus.

Advice to Management

Read these reviews carefully. Brookdale's name should be changed, as it is not the company I joined or once was. All of these employees you've treated badly are your potential customers and referral sources. I will never refer anyone to Brookdale again.

2. "I WOULDN'T WANT SOMEONE TAKING CARE OF ME THAT WAS GETTING TREATED LIKE THIS"

Current Employee - RN Case Manager in Seminole, FL
    Current Employee - RN Case Manager in Seminole, FL

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The patients are some of the nicest people in the world. If it weren't for them I would have been long gone.
    Communities are friendly and well maintained.

Cons

Employees at the entry and mid-tier level are overworked and under paid. Examples include but are not limited to the following:

* Continuity of Care - Care has been dramatically reduced due to daily schedule changes. Once you have things running smoothly management mixes it up so they don't have to pay overtime. They have a bloated management team that is focused on maximizing revenue and reducing costs. Nothing wrong with making money but not at the expense of employees and customers.

*Accountability - Out with the old and in with the new ... brand new. The level of experienced care givers has been replaced by those with little experience. If they do have experience they typically don't care; "it's just a job". Brookdale used to be the "creme de la creme" of assisted living facilities. Now they are operate on a level playing field. Butts in beds. We make more money keeping them alive than we do keeping them happy, the suggestion box is in the bathroom, you got an idea? good keep it to yourself.

* Company Values - Looks great on paper. In reality resident care used to be the number 1 emphasis. Now it's all about the $$$.

*Compensation plan changes frequently without notice, no written contract, subject to change at anytime, no clear description of overtime and bonuses. If you can't explain it then how am I supposed to understand it?The rules seem to always change and go in the wrong direction. T

The situation has a negative effect on patients and they ultimately become the victims.

Advice to Management

Micro-management reduces time spent with patients. Meetings about meetings, poor scheduling, redundant management chain, etc. increases employee dissatisfaction and ultimately leads to "burnout".

Streamline the scheduling so that patients receive better continuity of care. Stop nickle and dimming the employees. Remember who takes care of the customers/patients and who "sells" your service.

Thin out the managers. How many coaches do you need? If you hire and keep true professionals you can significantly reduce the money you waste on middle management. By eliminating an unnecessary manager you could save $80k. Apply 1/3rd of that savings to the front line staff and you will have happy people come to work.

Money spent on commercials would be better spent on patients and employees who are the real testament of what quality care is all about.