Broward County Schools - Teacher | Glassdoor

"Teacher"

Former Employee - Teacher in Fort Lauderdale, FL
Former Employee - Teacher in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Broward County Schools full-time

Pros

Union, even though the contract is not what it was, there are still protections.

Cons

The benefits are not good. They are very expensive and quite frankly very difficult to afford if you want benefits for your family. The culture is very political. You have to know someone or work your tail off to get noticed and then you STILL don't get promoted. People are not promoted based on what they know or the experiences they bring to the table.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to hire a consultant company to assess the system and see what it needs in order to move towards a workplace that operates in the 21st century. The quality of education in Florida is lacking and it is due in part to hiring and promotion practices. This system is very antiquated and the same people that have not had any experience other than working in Broward Schools all of their adult lives are the ones that get promoted. There is no innovation.

Other Employee Reviews for Broward County Schools

1. "My experience at Broward County School was fine i learned a lot about the school system his strength and weakness."

I have been working at Broward County Schools full-time

Pros

One of the best reason for me to work at Broward County School is to know the school system. To observe students behavior and have an idea what type of society we are going to have in 10 or 15 years.

Cons

Follow the rules and the principles of the School Board are very challenging. The System give you a lot of responsibilities but less authority.

Advice to Management

I think we need to give to Principals and teachers more authority over students.

2. "Better in Broward Than Dade"

Current Employee - Middle School Teacher in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Middle School Teacher in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Broward County Schools full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Organized, friendly environment, great workshops, supportive co-workers.

Cons

10 month salary. Unless you save, you must find work for the summer.

Advice to Management

sometimes more concerned with pleasing parents as opposed to taking care of their teacher.