Bunchball - People are great, management and product need work | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Bunchball

"People are great, management and product need work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Bunchball full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Surrounded by great, motivated people on a day to day basis. You become close to the team you are working with. It is a start-up so it gives you opportunity to take on a variety of tasks. Benefits are pretty good. Not great, but good.

Cons

Management has a tendency to either micro-manage or be completely absent, depending on the manager and particular department. The product is constantly having problems, which leads to difficulties supporting and selling to customers. Not enough accountability with the Engineering department. It is difficult to get raises/promotions. Work/life balance can be difficult for some, depending on what you are doing. Location seems to be out of the way for most employees. Most people are commuting an hour or more each day to get to work and excessive telecommuting in some teams is frowned upon.

Advice to Management

Work on getting the Engineering department up to caliber. Make sure there is accountability and everyone is pulling their weight. The CEO needs to be more cognizant of the company and stop shutting himself in a room all day. Talk to employees, honestly listen to what they have to say.

Other Employee Reviews for Bunchball

1. "Amazing people. Great products. Evolving Vision."

I have been working at Bunchball full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've never worked anywhere longer than 2 years, and as I approach 4+ years with Bunchball, I can honestly say it's been one of the most dynamic, adventurous, and educational environments I've worked in. The people alone make me want to come into work everyday, but the work is really exciting as well from a technical standpoint. We get a tremendous amount of autonomy to build kick-ass solutions to real-world problems, without too much micro-management. I've been able to grow within the company in ways I could have never dreamed of when I started. There is a real team mentality in several of the groups within Bunchball, and we all work hard to make sure everyone is growing, happy, and most importantly, having an awesome time.

Cons

The same challenges that are at any high-demand software company. Pesky bugs, competing priorities, and sometimes not enough hours in the day. That being said, our team is really great about addressing "things that suck" and fixing them as rapidly as possible. It's great to be empowered to take sub-optimal processes and attack them head-on. In my years of experience, I've learned that no place is perfect, and often the grass is just as spotty and brown in places on the other side of the fence. The people I get to surround myself with each day make any occasional hiccups worth it.

Advice to Management

As with any organization, silos are easily formed, and you may have sales people that don't know an engineer by name and visa-versa. Some initiatives to tear down those walls would go a long way. Other than that, I feel that any time I have an issue, it is resolved swiftly by management with little-to-no pushback. I feel very supported by my superiors...

"Avoid at all costs!"

I worked at Bunchball full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really intelligent and hardworking people.
    Becomes more like a family.

Cons

Everything! I worked here for nearly 2 years and had a great reputation within the company but was completely miserable. Upper management is completely out of touch with the needs of customers and the market. The direction of the company is constantly changing and its hard to keep up.

Everything goes back to what the CEO did at Tumbleweed. That was many years ago and it's a completely different product and market.

The product is really buddy and out of date. Customers are never happy and the employees are miserable trying to keep up.

The outlook for this company is not good.

Advice to Management

Start paying better attention to what customers need. It will result in happier customers and happier employees.