Burns & McDonnell - Incredible career growth and rewards/recognition for high performers | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Burns & McDonnell

"Incredible career growth and rewards/recognition for high performers"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Burns & McDonnell full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very low turnover rate (less than 4%), pay for performance compensation structure, ESOP, excellent management, community involvement, steady organic growth and career development/opportunities are endless.

Cons

This is not an easy place to work...but it is the best place to work. It's a challenging, engaging company that has high standards. My guess is that many people who have poor reviews on glassdoor are the ones that either didn't make it or were low performers that didn't get the bonus they were 'entitled' to.

Advice to Management

To be able to recruit top female talent in the engineering world, we need to have flex hours or the ability to telecommute. Some offices have this option, and we are getting there as an overall company, but it is taking longer than I prefer.

Other Employee Reviews for Burns & McDonnell

"Houston office is going backwards rather than forward."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Burns & McDonnell full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The ESOP is great. No other company can match it.

Cons

Reverting to 1980s dress code like their WHQ.
    No flexible work schedule (9/80 or 4/10).
    Horrible work/life balance if you plan on meeting schedules. As long as you do that they don't care. They say they do but nothing is done.
    Only worried about making $ not the employees.

Advice to Management

FLEXIBLE WORK SCHEDULE.

"Best job I could ask for!"

Current Employee - Engineer in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Engineer in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Burns & McDonnell full-time (More than a year)

Pros

EMPLOYEE OWNERSHIP! There is a great atmosphere because of this. We are all about helping each other out and have a great culture. I am excited to come to work 99% of the time!
    Benefits are awesome all around.
    Even though what I'm doing is not what I "dreamt" to do when I got out of college, the people I work with and environment I work in make it SO worth it.

Cons

Nobody's perfect :) With how much growth there has been, especially recently, it's hard to manage. My department has almost doubled since I have started and it's tough to keep everything in line. So far, our new department manager has done a great job! Also, sometimes I see how much the people are consumed by their work if they've been here 5+ years and part of me is worried... will that be me someday?

Advice to Management

More PTO! And encouragement to take it. It's odd that the people that have been here longest have so much PTO that they never use and then the people that haven't been here very much never seem to have enough PTO.