Burson-Marsteller - Bad Teams and Managers | Glassdoor

"Bad Teams and Managers"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Burson-Marsteller full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice office area and location

Cons

Everything. Bad Teams, Bad Management Bad HR

Advice to Management

quit

Other Employee Reviews for Burson-Marsteller

1. "Internship program at Burson-Marsteller"

Former Intern - Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Burson-Marsteller as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Learn a lot inside your practice, really intensive intern project.

Cons

Don't expect a job at the end, don't get to work outside your practice.

"Decling brand that settles for good rather than striving for great. Unprofessional leaders, poor benefits demotivate."

Current Employee - Senior Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Burson-Marsteller full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1) Great client names
    2) Great company history
    3) Flexibility to relocate or work remotely
    4) Great place to float under the radar without working too hard if you do not have great ambition

Cons

1) Burson is a machine. It is impersonal and lacks character. Leaders are MIA and therefore employees feel invisible. Process overtakes personal.
    2) The company lacks creativity and innovation. If this does not change, we will soon lose good clients. There are serious signs of instability now.
    3) Hierarchy is rigid and it's well-known. Overstepping boundaries is not encouraged.
    4) Extremely professional behavior and dress is expected of staff but leaders do not set the example. F bombs reign supreme and some leaders (not all) are borderline abusive in feedback (i.e. using extremely derogatory terms).
    5) Burson settles for good rather than striving for great. Staff is demotivated. There is no incentive to push ourselves or our clients for great results. Turnover is high.
    6) Promotions and raises are slow and minimal, plus title system is not standard to the industry which can set you behind.
    7) Hours are crazy... but only for some. Many do not pull their weight and it falls on the shoulders of a few.
    8) Culture is non-existent. There are rarely happy hours or gatherings. We do not have regular staff meetings. We do not mix between practices or even client teams. Purse strings are so tight that if I want to take my reports for a reward lunch or happy hour, I have to foot the bill.

Advice to Management

At the most senior levels: walk the halls every once-in-awhile. Your industry peers are doing it! Impersonal management styles are quickly fading and lead to turn over. MDs and global client leads: provide constructive feedback, respect your employees, and ensure competitive salaries and promotions. Other big agencies do not operate like this, and they are hiring!