Burwell Industries - Dysfunctional is only the beginning | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Burwell Industries

"Dysfunctional is only the beginning"

I worked at Burwell Industries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The products are amazing and as an employee you are given great discounts.

Cons

Burwell is a sinking ship. They are constantly changing things - the building, people's roles, processes - all without any communication. It is not unusual to come to work and find you have a completely different job or they moved your department. They also have a ridiculously high turnover, especially in the sales department. In the time I have worked there I think they have turned over 80-90% of the employees. The number of employees who make it two years or longer I could count on one hand. They used to have what employees called "firing Fridays" because it was almost guaranteed they were going to fire someone on payday Fridays. Its also not unusual for them to write you up instead of giving you a review so they can justify not giving you a raise. The sales goals are not sustainable, the processes are laborious and they pay is not competitive. No one, including some managers will make a decision without running it by one of the owners for fear of repercussion. I'm talking about spending a $15 here or there. I think company could be amazing but the owners won't get out of their own way.

Advice to Management

They spent a ton of money with a consulting company to find out how to improve morale. Management should have listened. The employees talked about more flexible work hours, more competitive pay, room for growth and the ability to make their own decisions.

Other Employee Reviews for Burwell Industries

"Good place to be"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Burwell Industries (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've worked here for awhile. Long enough to see the myths and witness firsthand the negative culture that is legend among the employees. And yes, many of these things did happen, but what people who haven't been with the company in more than a year don't know is that things have changed and continue to change every day. We have new leadership and a new mission within the company and Burwell is a very different place than it was when I started. I've managed to create a career here, one that I enjoy and continue to grow in each day as an employee.

I'd be lying if I said that I have always been happy as an employee at Burwell, but I'd also be lying if I said that I'm not happy that I weathered the storm and stuck through it all to be where I am at now. I'm proud to work where I do, excited about the opportunities that lie ahead for me, and thankful for the experiences and lessons I've learned here. Burwell isn't perfect, but it's a good place to be...I wouldn't still be here if I felt differently. And as many former employees have proven, the grass isn't always greener on the other side. I've seen more than one of my former peers apply to come back to Burwell which is testament to the fact that many of the things we experience at Burwell aren't specific to our company but challenges that are inherent in the workplace and common among many work environments.

Overall, we are a growing company doing really unique things in a very cool industry and I'm proud to be a part of it all. I've witnessed firsthand that our company has the experience and credentials to back what we have done and is invested in striving for what we want to do. Burwell challenges me to be a better and more full contributor at work and in my personal life. Plus, you don't get opportunities to work in fashion and beauty in Denver very often!
    And as a final note to all those negative Nancy's who just can't seem to get over their experiences at Burwell, do us all a favor and stop complaining...it is different than when you were here.

Cons

1. We are invested in striving for great things (which is good) but we work too fast and don't always learn from our mistakes.

2. Pay isn't horrible, but it could be better. And sometimes the wrong people are rewarded for a great job. Extras like mini bonuses, gift cards, lunches, and coffee would go a long way to offset both of these problems.

3. Job titles and divisions of labor aren't necessarily clearly defined and that can cause frustration and confusion when working with peers and across departments.

4. Some new members of the management team don't fully understand the company identity and brand and that makes it hard for them to relate.

Advice to Management

Continue to change for the positive while staying true to our identity. Reward those who are valuable to your organization and stop tolerating those who are toxic to our culture.

"Positive Reviews questionable.."

Former Employee - Anonymous in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Englewood, CO

Pros

Great product and somehow, for the most part, great colleagues.
    I have actually worked there, and I have to say the so-called positive reviews are not my experience, and they seem oddly familiar - so I suspect they are fake.
    Company is led by a talented, yet narcissistic namesake, that makes for a dysfunctional culture. I can vouch for 90% of the negative comments posted.
    If you are in her inner circle, you'll be OK, expect to work long hours nonetheless.

Cons

The previous CEO tried to balance things, but now gone.
    Who's the new girl in client services this month? The turnover rate is high.
    It takes sooooooo long to get anything done that has to go by President Creative Director Goddess Queen.
    Notice there is very little new product, because now that she's a Mom, it takes even longer than before.

Advice to Management

Why bother posting it, they don't listen to consultants, why would they listen to anything here?