Employee Review

1. 1.0
    Former Intern, less than 1 year

This company is so wack it's laughable

Feb 27, 2019 - Intern in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

The only pro of working here is that you can say you are employed, even though every day there makes you question what cosmic entity you must have pissed off to get there. But I will say, the video team seems nice.

Cons

To sum up: so many excellent publications are experiencing falling outs/layoffs, from Mic to Buzzfeed to HuffPost, etc. Others are shutting down entirely. I can honestly say Business Insider/Insider Inc. is the ONLY publication that I 100% believe SHOULD have shut down in the place of all these others. I would not wish working here upon my worst enemy. "Read on" if you'd like to know why. To most everyone on the outside, Business Insider is a legit and well-known publication. On the inside, it is a dumpster fire of deception and exploitation. This company discourages unionizing. It gave its global editor-in-chief a check for $2000, while reducing it's full-time employees to hourly wages (with a spontaneous notification of this via email) to avoid having to pay them the legal minimum amount in New York. It has a gender pay gap problem that it denies. In your contracts, you must agree to never say anything bad about Insider while you work there. You're also not allowed to get a recommendation from any of your fellow employees or supervisors for future jobs. Any ideas you come up with at Insider that are not related to work are their property. Editorial higher ups selectively choose the schools they'll look at job applications from, so if you went to Syracuse or NYU (and you're a mildly attractive white woman), you're in luck. The company is largely made up of white, middle class-or-higher workers. The writers rooms are so white that any stories from a POC or non-cis perspective have to be sent out to freelancers. I overheard so many conversations from higher up editorial employees pathetically attempting to be inclusive, who clearly didn't know what they were talking about and were so misguided, you would find yourself trapped in a full-body cringe for the rest of the day. The culture of the office is akin to "Mean Girls," without Tina Fey's loveable sense of humor. They must have come up with the stereotype of rich white women being catty and passive aggressive from their observations of Insider employees. Interns are given "intern buddies," who are editorial workers that meet with them for monthly lunches and generally help them through their time at Insider. My intern buddy met with me once, then spent the rest of my internship ignoring me in the halls and being incredibly passive aggressive to the interns who worked directly under them. If you're a freelancer, the editor will decide whether or not they want to completely ignore you or take the minimal time it takes to actually respond. In the meantime, they'll keep reminding you that "opinions aren't allowed" and pretty much, to just regurgitate other information/reporting that already exists. You will not be informed of anything, or treated with respect, you are merely there until the editor decides you're not, and that's that. I can earnestly say that Nich Carlson has the IQ of a high school football player with a concussion. He is the epitome of white male privilege, in that he wrecked every job he had up to this point and was somehow named global editor-in-chief. If you ask him a question, he literally doesn't know how to respond, and will probably use Venn Diagrams that make no sense. Think of Chris Hemsworth in the "Ghostbusters" reboot, and that is Nich Carlson. I don't understand how he was ever hired here to begin with, much less run the company. Henry Blodget, you are nice, if not one of one million other white men at that company. If I had to describe Insider in a few words, I think they would be "I just..." because... I just... have trouble finding the words for this place. If you value yourself as a writer, journalist or inclusive individual, do not work here. Do not support this place. If you are a problematic white man or a picture of white feminism, however, then you will love it. Ignore everything I've said. Oh, and as for the content quality, all you have to do is read the website to see the garbage they put out from day-to-day. Spelling errors and clickbait abound. Save yourself the time, energy and near-paralyzing frustration, and consider Insider CANCELLEDT.

Continue reading
    6 people found this review helpful
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great culture and career growth

May 12, 2021 - Senior User Experience/UI Designer in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

• I love coming to work every day and collaborating with the team. • Wide variety of products to focus on. • Plenty of career growth and opportunity. • The work is challenging. • Design and User Experience is a core value of our product. • Very flexible schedule adaption. "Unlimited" time off.

Cons

• If I had to choose I would say that it's an up and coming company so there is a lot of movement and building of entirely new components of the product. This is a pro and a con because it's exciting to build, track, and iterate on new things, but it's slightly at the cost of the feeling foundation and certainty when working on that portion of the product.

Continue reading
    Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 5.0
    Current Employee

great place to work

May 11, 2021 - Senior Reporter in Brooklyn, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

good perks and work/life balance

Cons

Very large organizations so it may be hard to move up.

Be the first to find this review helpful

Discover more reviews about Business Insider.