CA Prison Health Care - Politics and incompetent people galore! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for CA Prison Health Care

"Politics and incompetent people galore!"

Current Employee - Staff Services Analyst in Elk Grove, CA
Current Employee - Staff Services Analyst in Elk Grove, CA

I have been working at CA Prison Health Care full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work is interesting and fun - I love the busy environment and how you can do so much. Union has your back so you are safe and taken care of.

Cons

Politics - everyone is super petty. Don't you dare ask anyone to do their job - they'll cut you down. I asked a coworker to help me find one of her cases and she made my life hell. Not to mention most people are incompetent. Your coworkers and bosses will mostly be in their 50's or 60's, and no matter how many times you explain it, do not understand what a URL is or what "double-click" means on a computer. I thought it was just my office, but I've been in several now and it's all hell. You will end up doing EVERYONE's job, and no promotion or anything, because they are trying to save money and when they do layoffs you are the FIRST to go because they rely entirely on seniority, not on who can actually do their job. This is a perfect job if you are worthless and can't do any work anyways - you'll fit right in. But if you actually work hard and are intelligent - RUN!

Advice to Management

Work smarter, not harder. Layoffs should not be based on seniority, but people who do their work. So fire the people who suck, and promote the employees who actually give their all. Honestly this would be a great job if you got decent employees.

Other Employee Reviews for CA Prison Health Care

"LVN. Contracted"

Current Contractor - LVN in Corcoran, CA
    Current Contractor - LVN in Corcoran, CA

I have been working at CA Prison Health Care as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Job is fairly easy, especially if you come from somewhere like a long term care facility.

Cons

They are so short of employees, your orientation is cut short and you are placed into a job you know nothing about, and since they are union, you get stuck with the lowest level, hardest job for that shift. With improper orientation you are set up for failure. One of the cons of a union is, it's hard to get rid of even workers that even all the fellow employees think shouldn't be working there.

Advice to Management

I think the problems stem from the very top, so not sure it can be fixed. They are chronically short staff, especially nursing. The word is, because it's actually cheaper to force mandatory overtime (as union contracted) than it is to hire more workers and then pay them all the benefits, and retirement. Consequently, the staff gets burned out working up to several 16 hour shifts a week.

2. "LVn"

Former Employee - LVN in Corcoran, CA
    Former Employee - LVN in Corcoran, CA

Pros

If you are contract, your hours are flexible and to can take time off whenever you like. The pay is very good and the nurses there are easy to work with. If you cannot handle stress don't try it. I worked contract prisons for ten years and I loved it.

Cons

Sometimes you are not prepared for the workload and that can be difficult but if you are an experienced nurse you can handle anything.