CAL POLY - 4 stars for Cal Poly, 1 star for working for Campus Dining | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for CAL POLY

"4 stars for Cal Poly, 1 star for working for Campus Dining"

Former Employee - Employee in San Luis Obispo, CA
Former Employee - Employee in San Luis Obispo, CA

I worked at CAL POLY part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free meal with every shift and you get to meet some pretty cool people when there's a lull in service

Cons

One of the managers is the worst person to deal with, ever. My very first shift (4 hours) and she wouldn't let me take a single break or use my meal. She'll tell you what to do but not how to do it so you're on your own.

Advice to Management

To the one manager who cannot lead: What are you in a hurry for? When you're not barking orders, all you do is stand around looking for something to complain about.

Other Employee Reviews for CAL POLY

1. "Cal Poly Corp doesn't care about Cal Poly's values, only turning a profit"

Former Employee - Cook in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Former Employee - Cook in San Luis Obispo, CA

I worked at CAL POLY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Constant availability means its fairly easy to get a job here, and easy to get enough hours if you need money. A set quarterly schedule for workers means you don't have a constantly changing schedule like other employers at Cal Poly. "Free-meal passes" are a little bonus each time you work at least four hours.

Cons

No benefits, great reluctance to offer "full-time" positions. Instead they rely on a constant stream of "interim" employees which basically means they'll work you full-time then replace you with someone else after a few months. Students are treated as disposable, and management will simply take them off the schedule to cut back on paid hours without even notifying them. Instead of offering quality food their dining division offers extremely cheap, overpriced food at the expense of its students.

Advice to Management

The number one complaint students have at Cal Poly is the food. If the corporation isn't aware of this they really must not care about the students. In my years at Cal Poly as both a student and employee I haven't seen the corporation take any steps to improve the quality of their offerings. Listening to the students would go a long way in improving the stigma that surrounds campus dining.

2. "Excellent place to work"

Former Employee - Tutor in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Former Employee - Tutor in San Luis Obispo, CA

I worked at CAL POLY part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great weather, healthy youthful environment, and intellectually challenging.

Cons

Small regional economy. Bring your own job.