CARFAX - Guilty - I totally love working here | Glassdoor
Pros
  • "The work-life balance is surreal" (in 69 reviews)

• "Work at your own pace, bonus program that drives employee performance, free Friday Lunch, happy hours, company events, pet friendly & more" (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • "There doesn't seem to be much room for growth in many positions in the company" (in 8 reviews)

• "I had no cons while working at Carfax" (in 13 reviews)

Employee Review

Employee Review

"Guilty - I totally love working here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Centreville, VA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Centreville, VA

I have been working at CARFAX full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not sure where to start...working for a financially successful organization (hence solid/stable) with a strong, trusted brand is amazing. The pride in what we do is evident throughout our offices and on the road with our field team everyday. I do love working with just about everyone I’ve come into contact with over the years. Every once in a while I have a head-scratching moment, whether related to a project or colleague or decision, and 9 times out of 10 I am able to leverage our trust-based, collaborative environment to get things out on the table and resolve issues or confusion in a jiffy. One must be willing to own a problem or challenge, though, and expend the energy to do so...I worry that some of the folks who drop negative reviews on GD simply haven’t “manned up,” taken ownership of a challenge, and tried to move the ball forward, because CARFAX is hands-down the best place I’ve worked in 20+ years to do something like that. Employee activities are simply AMAZING and the office/amenities keep getting better. Seeing employees’ joy from spending their days with their dog by their side or knowing they can bring a child into the office in a pinch is priceless. Are we Amazon or Google regarding our tech stack and stock options? No...but we’re also not a meat grinder where you leave every day knowing you’ll log in at home and keep on working every night and weekend. I’ll take this over that any day of the week and twice on Sunday (as my Grandma used to say).

Cons

Yes, the reviews are true, there is a ton of food at CARFAX. :-) It can be challenging to hire younger folks (and even some non-younger ones) in Centreville given the lack of social amenities around the office. As you can probably tell in the photos, our offices are very open which is great for collaboration and team camaraderie, but it can be challenging when you need some quiet space to focus.

Advice to Management

Keep the faith, be true to the Playbook, and keep pushing us to grow in a healthy way. Help us leverage the strength of our successful, multi-national parent company (IHSMarkit) without allowing them to change our business formula and culture.

CARFAX Response

Oct 19, 2018 – Director, HR

Thank you for the review! We will always stay true to the Playbook and feed you well!!!

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

"Good company...but it’s not all it’s cracked up to be"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Centreville, VA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Centreville, VA

I worked at CARFAX full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free Friday lunch
    EAP(employee appreciation party)

Cons

*Flat organization absolutely no room for growth
    *Favoritism
    *No room for growth
    *Management makes you feel like this is the best place to work...but it really isn’t
    *when you go over and beyond recognition is slim to none....unless your a manger favorite.

Advice to Management

Don’t get me wrong carfax is a good company and is a good starter job. But it’s not a career move. If you love the feeling of being in a repetitive day flow...then this is the place for you.

2. "Excellent culture"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Columbia, MO

I have been working at CARFAX full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Forward thinking in technology and culture. New tech all the time. Plenty of training.

Cons

Getting more corporate every day

Discover more reviews about CARFAX.