CARFAX - Guilty - I totally love working here | Glassdoor
Pros
  • "The work-life balance is surreal" (in 69 reviews)

• "The company buys lunch on Fridays, has dogs in the office, and provides fun break areas such as game systems or putt putt" (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • "Flat organization - not much room for growth up the chain" (in 7 reviews)

• "I have no cons to add for Carfax" (in 12 reviews)

Employee Review

Employee Review

"Guilty - I totally love working here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Centreville, VA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Centreville, VA

I have been working at CARFAX full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not sure where to start...working for a financially successful organization (hence solid/stable) with a strong, trusted brand is amazing. The pride in what we do is evident throughout our offices and on the road with our field team everyday. I do love working with just about everyone I’ve come into contact with over the years. Every once in a while I have a head-scratching moment, whether related to a project or colleague or decision, and 9 times out of 10 I am able to leverage our trust-based, collaborative environment to get things out on the table and resolve issues or confusion in a jiffy. One must be willing to own a problem or challenge, though, and expend the energy to do so...I worry that some of the folks who drop negative reviews on GD simply haven’t “manned up,” taken ownership of a challenge, and tried to move the ball forward, because CARFAX is hands-down the best place I’ve worked in 20+ years to do something like that. Employee activities are simply AMAZING and the office/amenities keep getting better. Seeing employees’ joy from spending their days with their dog by their side or knowing they can bring a child into the office in a pinch is priceless. Are we Amazon or Google regarding our tech stack and stock options? No...but we’re also not a meat grinder where you leave every day knowing you’ll log in at home and keep on working every night and weekend. I’ll take this over that any day of the week and twice on Sunday (as my Grandma used to say).

Cons

Yes, the reviews are true, there is a ton of food at CARFAX. :-) It can be challenging to hire younger folks (and even some non-younger ones) in Centreville given the lack of social amenities around the office. As you can probably tell in the photos, our offices are very open which is great for collaboration and team camaraderie, but it can be challenging when you need some quiet space to focus.

Advice to Management

Keep the faith, be true to the Playbook, and keep pushing us to grow in a healthy way. Help us leverage the strength of our successful, multi-national parent company (IHSMarkit) without allowing them to change our business formula and culture.

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Excellent culture"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Columbia, MO

I have been working at CARFAX full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Forward thinking in technology and culture. New tech all the time. Plenty of training.

Cons

Getting more corporate every day

2. "Account Manager"

I have been working at CARFAX full-time

Pros

Collaborative, team focused environment full of positive people working towards a clear common goal. Proves that, when you're careful about picking the right staff and consciously cultivating an incredible environment, people will work to their highest potential and have a blast doing it!

Cons

Upward mobility may take longer here because people love it so much they don't want to leave.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, and keep working to find ways to groom and reward the top talent you've found!

Discover more reviews about CARFAX.