CARQUEST - Great Company | Glassdoor

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Manager in Tampa, FL
Current Employee - Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at CARQUEST full-time (More than a year)

Pros

New Leadership seems to understand "Team First"

Cons

Top Heavy Management - Too Many Bosses

Advice to Management

Get Lean

Other Employee Reviews for CARQUEST

"Out of touch"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at CARQUEST full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay was very nice, but I cannot think of much else that fits into the pro category. I'll freely admit to bias here.

Cons

Honestly, this company was a poor fit for me. I came on-board expecting lots of work and the ability to play with new technologies, but this just failed to materialize and I became mired in an application that is best described as antique and this was not the oldest application in the plant. Further, I went to my director at one point and ask for (OMG!) direction and practically got my head bitten off. Things that just cause me to react poorly. Further, I was just plain underutilized. These things happen.

What bothered me most; were upper management and its lack of intersection with reality. For Example, during a meeting once, the person speaking was talking about a manufacturing facility CARQUEST used in China. The speaker lauded the Chinese owner’s dedication because when the owner was younger, he and his wife brought there kid to work with them and kept the child in a box under their work station. This was an example of dedication to the job, not that if one of the parents had missed a day of work to take care of the child they would have been fired in China and unable to find work from that point forward. The CARQUEST manager was totally clueless of the realities in China.

Lastly, CARQUEST fired or laid-off people far too easily. I saw it happen several times in the short time I was employed with them. Just got the feeling the folks who made the head count decisions (Temple Sloan & Co) are people who never had to worry about making a mortgage payment, or worried where their next meal was coming from. Wonder what his father would say?

Advice to Management

Buy some history books, get out of the office, and look around. There are reasons why Advance, O'Reilly and such are eating into your market share. Become an innovator instead of slowly following along. Show some more respect for your employees and the hard work they do for you. People are not disposable.

"CQ has forgot who really does make them their money."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at CARQUEST full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

can't really think of any.

Cons

Managment (puppets) from corporate have forgot about the people who do all the work and make them money.

Advice to Management

quit retalating a being a bunch of babies.