CDW - Effort Effort Effort..... Dialing for $'s doesn't matter how much you sell, just make more calls! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for CDW

"Effort Effort Effort..... Dialing for $'s doesn't matter how much you sell, just make more calls!"

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Mettawa, IL
Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Mettawa, IL

Pros

One of the best things working at CDW provides you is opportunity! Opportunity to grow personally and career wise. Most people will come in as an entry level account manager. Put in your 12 months without performance issues, and then you can move any where in the company. The move is usually to an easier job, with better pay!

Cons

At CDW you have to be ready for a very idealistic management team. They do take surveys and try to get a feel for what we want, but they never really get the jest of what we're trying to say. They are too concerned over "effort numbers" (the way our work is daily evaluated) and not concerned as much for the end result. (In other words, someone can make 20 calls a day, be on the phone for three hours, and sell $5000, but they were supposed to make 55 calls, three hours on the phone, and sell $2500. So they get in talked to, because they obviously did not put as much "effort" in as the other person!

Advice to Management

Come do our jobs for a day! Stop trying to think you understand what we go through on a daily basis. It's much different from when you used to do this job!

Other Employee Reviews for CDW

1. "Used to be a great place to work but things have changed"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

fast paced environment with young, interesting co-workers. I've been with the company for nearly 9 years and it's always been a fun fast paced environment with minimal micro-management. One of the company's philosophies was "Work hard and Play hard" and we certainly did. The Holiday party became one of, if not the biggest party of its kind in the Chicagoland area but with our recent buy out and new ownership, that was the first thing new management nixed. This was a sign of more changes to come and none of the changes thus far have benefited the employees which is something we never had to worry about when our founder Michael Krasny was at the helm.

Cons

unfair advancement practices. As a Sales professional, of coarse you're expected to hunt for your own business but as time goes on, you'll see peers handed accounts solely on favortism. It's truly an environment where the chosen few are handed riches. The typical example is John and I are neck and neck at 80% of goal and shipping $500K per month. Our team-mate Sally gets promoted and her account base is redistributed amongst our team of 20 other sales reps. John receives 2 of her top 20 accounts which adds another $60K per month to his sales production and I might not see a single account. The account redistribution process has always been a mystery and always perceived as being unfair by the masses.

Advice to Management

try to recapture the "employee comes first" mentality this company was built on.

2. "Wana make a lot of money and work with people you enjoy dealing with- CDW is your calling."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Great entry level gig in which you can make a six figure income level in 3-4 years. LIke any job, you have to apply your self, however the opportunity is there. Most people come on board thinking they are going to make a lot of money in their first or second year. it doesnt work that way. You work hard your first few years and the results will come on their own. The culture is awesome. People really get along with each other and you can feel the energy on every floor. Its kind of like a frat/sorority house with profressional individuals. You feel as though you belong to a large team.

Cons

Locations are limited to northern suburbs and DT Chicago. They forget to cater to those that live out west. Sales AM's have a difficult time if their accounts get pulled. Goals are hard to obtain at times. This does not put your job in jeapordy, but sure does have an effect on your paycheck. Managers don't always lay out a career path for you. You have to be aggressive and let them know what you are looking to do down the road. Company has stopped alot of its gathering and activities, however it still has more fun then most companies.

Advice to Management

Figure out a way to help build career paths for everybody. You can be stuck in the same position for 10 years.