CGI - A great compoany to work for!!! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for CGI

"A great compoany to work for!!!"

Current Employee - Director in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
Current Employee - Director in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Pros

If you are driven and motivated to succeed CGI will provide you with ample opportunities to shine and succeed.

CGI does not hire employee it hires members (owners) that get to partake in all the benefits the company has to offer - profit sharing, stock options and a stock purchase plan.

CGI's Senior Management are very passionate about the company and they have a clear vision and mission for CGI – it is very inspiring to hear them speak about CGI’s vision and mission.

CGI has some great Managers that constantly provide recognition and feedback for a job well done – unfortunately there are those Managers that seem to forget to provide that words of recognition and thanks for a job well done do not cost them or the company anything.

Cons

It's a great company with many talented people yet they are unable to command the high per diem rates that companies such as IBM, EDS and Accenture enjoy.

Advice to Management

The Business Unit model needs some major changes to get the company acting as one - the days of local IT market are numbers and only the truely global players will survive.

Other Employee Reviews for CGI

"CGI Communication problems."

Current Employee - Project Manager in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Montreal, QC (Canada)

Pros

The best reason would be to catapult yourself in your career outside CGI.

Cons

LAck of communication about important issues.

Advice to Management

Middle managemenet must learn to manage people as well as technology. Don't promote someone on the basis of their technological prowess.

"CGI: Fairly decent place to work"

Current Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Halifax, NS (Canada)
    Current Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Halifax, NS (Canada)

Pros

They have a pretty good vacation structure. I get around 3 or 4 week vacation this year. That's kind of nice. You can get a consultant position where travel is available, but if you tire of it you can get a more home-based position. I've also been able to work from home quite a lot while I've been there. The pay is OK for my position, in this city. There is a good dental/vision/drug benefit package. CGI and the employees do a lot of charity work. It's nice to work for a company with a conscience. Altogether, they seem to be OK.

Cons

I'm supposed to have a $1000 annual training allowance, but I've never seen any of that money. I usually spend several hundred dollars a year of my own cash to buy books to keep up with what is going on in my field. CGI won't reimburse me for anything except fees for certification exams. The problem is that the exams only have partly to do with my job, so I have to buy books which I need to do my job. Also, there's no profit sharing. They say there is, but I've never met another CGI employee who received profit sharing.

Advice to Management

Employees should have more control over their training costs. If you say we have $1000 then let us spend it on books or whatever else we think we need to do our job. It shouldn't have to go through a director, get approved, etc. Directors don't have something better to do? The company tracks expenses and time sheets on the portal, so why isn't there a place to put in costs for books? Come on: I can get you a receipt from Amazon. It's not a problem. Also, if I don't use my allowance for one year, then shouldn't I be able to put it towards one of these $2000 week-long IT courses the next year?