CIBC - Career Advancement is possible at CIBC | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for CIBC

"Career Advancement is possible at CIBC"

Current Employee - Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
Current Employee - Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at CIBC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart employees, good compensation, lots of career advancement opportunities

Cons

Benefits are not as good, not a strong employee oriented culture

Other Employee Reviews for CIBC

1. "The company is backwards, sideways and every which way other than straight forward."

Former Employee - Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at CIBC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

basic benefits of working for a major corporation such as benefits, vacation and relatively decent work hours.

Cons

Management changes far too frequently, and as such shows no concerns nor respect for their direct reportrts. Management does not encourage, train or advance the development of employees, in my experience I actually saw management plot to terminate multiple employees on the basis they did not personally like them. I would advise looking at alternate places of employment.

"I have been warned before I started working here and regret ignoring those warnings."

Former Employee - Financial Services Representative II in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Financial Services Representative II in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at CIBC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are with CIBC World Markets, the education perks are great. They pay for quite a few courses from the Canadian Securities Institute and give you a bonus when you pass.

Cons

Lack of advancement opportunities. People with minimal education move up in to higher levels, yet I have seen individuals with an MBA remain in a salary band 4 position. Wages are lower than other financial institutions. There was a constant feeling of management out to keep everyone down, instead of looking out for their best interest. I have worked for both Wood Gundy and the Retail Banking division. This is the case in 3 out of the 3 offices I have worked at.

Advice to Management

If you keep your employees happy, they will be willing to do more for you. If you micro manage, give them a hard time or focus on what they could improve on (yes there is alway's something), then you will have a high turnover. People like to be appreciated for their contributions, I did not enjoy going to work. Everyday, I would ask myself why I do a good job for CIBC only to get dumped on. "You closed $800k in loans this week, but.... what happened to your calls? What's going on here? You need to get your act together." This does not sit well with employees.