CIMMYT - great place to work | Glassdoor

Employee Review

"great place to work"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at CIMMYT as a contractor

Pros

Supportive teams; friendly environment; opportunities to get involved on interesting projects abound

Cons

Difficulty managing development and research agendas;

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Rewarding mandate, archaic management structure and corporate culture"

Current Employee - Associate Scientist
    Current Employee - Associate Scientist

I have been working at CIMMYT full-time

Pros

CIMMYT has a wonderful and regarding mandate, interesting multi-cultural environment, and ability for travel and adventure integrated into many positions

Cons

CIMMYT is stuck in a top-down corporate management style more appropriate to the 1960s (when the organization was founded). There has been so much positive research and examples of modern corporate structures to facilitate collaboration, innovation, and well-being in creative enterprises, none of these seem to be seriously taken up by management. CIMMYT is filled with lots of good people, but they are put into a toxic environment, which twists good people into a dysfunctioning work environment.

Advice to Management

READ BOOKS ON MANAGEMENT.... the Culture Code... Creativity Inc... Change by Design... all available on Amazon for low prices. You have a world-class institution at your hands, it needs good stewardship. Don't hire narcissists to lead management programs. A PhD does not train a person how to manage people or organizations. Young people are both more productive and cheaper, let some of the older, more stubborn and expensive staff go... they will be OK. The arbitrary distinction between 'locally recruited' and 'internationally recruited' staff is creating division and strife between staff, at best, this was a misplaced concept from the 1960s and has no place in 2019.

"Associate Scientist"

I worked at CIMMYT full-time

Pros

I gave an overall rating of 3 stars because CIMMYT does some great work that really benefits poor farmers throughout the world, and many of its employees are very nice and supportive.

Cons

The organizational structure is terrible -- I happened to belong to one (of five) thematic programs, but worked on a project that was led by a different program. Additionally, I worked on the other side of the world from the HQ (where my boss was) in Mexico. These two factors meant that he didn't have a clue as to what I did on a day-to-day basis, and the key people in the other program didn't feel enough responsibility for me to make sure my strong value to the project was known by my boss. As a consequence I was not promoted. CIMMYT gives lip service to work-life balance -- if you don't work 55-60 hours/week, you will not get ahead. In addition, many of the employees are self-centered and only care about publications -- and will behave badly in pursuit of that objective.

Advice to Management

I liked the new Director General -- he seemed to really want to improve the organization. I hope that he would look into how the management of employees in cross-program projects can be improved; especially with regard to having direct supervisors be within the same region -- not sitting in Mexico and only seeing or talking to the employee once a year (as for those who are in Africa and Asia).

Discover more reviews about CIMMYT.