CNL Software - A bad life experience - learnt a lot | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for CNL Software

"A bad life experience - learnt a lot"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knaphill, England (UK)

I worked at CNL Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The product concept was very exciting.

Some lovely people to get to know.

Your forced to learn very quickly, a great place to develop people skills

Small office generally means you can find the people your looking for, unless your looking for management.

Cons

Extremely demotivating environment and management team.

The company needs a lot of work, there were no solid processes, the company spends its whole time fighting fires which makes for a very stressful environment.

The company hasn't got the strong foundation it needs to be the great company it was once capable of being. I've seen too many strong capable people come into that company and get crushed under the enormity of problems solving they are faces with without the tools the fix any of it. There are too many barriers in the current management for any manager to come in and make a difference, too many ego's.

100% staff turn over in 3 years

Advice to Management

Stop trying to expand your company and instead work on getting your product stable. Look after your exciting customers instead of trying to acquire new ones.

Look after your staff, at the end of the day they are the ones that keep you in business. Stop blaming your staff for your short comings and instead look at the management. Remove the blind and see that only a small handful of people left because of family and other reasons and see that the majority left because they were fighting a losing battle for which they received no appreciation or acknowledgement.

Don't make favourites, you treated some members of staff above and beyond what I've known any other employer to do and by doing so you alienated them from their team and the rest of your staff, which resulted in their resignation also.

You should not complain to your staff about the things you don't like, you are management, if there is a problem, deal with it professionally.

Hire a cleaner! your staff are not cleaners and do not need the extra stress of being told off like school children then they make a mess.

Let your staff go home early on a Friday once in a while.
Being late isn't the end of the world, don't make a big deal of it.

Keith - Don't email your entire staff when your in a tizzy about something, it demotivates everyone!

Do not use the CCTV cameras to watch your staff, its wrong and demotivating - we know you did this!

MOST IMPORTANTLY - Take your bad reviews seriously, its hard not to get defensive but it could give you the opportunity to look at your company and how you can improve it, if you can set aside your ego's and admit that some of this might actually be your fault I believe that CNL might still have a chance but it will take a lot of time, money and back peddling.

There are a large number of us that have very deep scares left by CNL, we put in our blood sweat and tears for that company and now that we've left we're treated like spiteful children which is really sad.

Other Employee Reviews for CNL Software

"Fast paced company"

Current Employee - Management in Knaphill, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Management in Knaphill, England (UK)

I have been working at CNL Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

CNL is a small fast paced company, which demands a lot from its team members, but offer a unique place to accelerate a career. If you have ambition and want to make a mark than this is the place to do it.

I have seen lots of people come through the company, make a huge impact over a number of years and leave to find a role they would ever have been able to get without the experience they had at CNL. It is not an easy ride, some days it can be tough, but at the end of those days, I do feel that I have achieved something significant. If you are like me and want to work in a company that is trying to achieve something no one has done before and where you have the opportunity to push the boundaries of your abilities then consider CNL. If you are happier following a well-trodden path, then consider somewhere else.

The company is fairly flat, so senior management have a good understanding of what everyone is working on, some people see this as negative, but others enjoy the fact that their efforts are seen throughout the company.

Cons

The office is not in the best location, traffic can be bad on some days. The office is also not the newest or best equipped, but it is a good environment to focus on work without distractions.

Advice to Management

You can’t please all of the people all of the time, don’t let the actions of a few change a winning formula.

"Worst company I've ever worked for."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knaphill, England (UK)

I worked at CNL Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

High tech product,
    Great connections to other businesses in the UK,
    No London commute necessary.
    High salaries.

Cons

Absolutely awful dictatorial executive management, who like to play favorites.
    Company is haemhoraging talent, very few staff with any deep product knowledge left.
    Complete inability to deliver anything on time, even versions of their own product.

Advice to Management

Sell up, and let someone who knows what they're doing run the company.

I held on right till the end, but just couldn't swallow the false hype anymore. Stop pretending you're the big player, and accept that there are serious issues throughout the business, you're losing ground to your competitors, and no one is happy.

You're barely retaining the talent you have left, by paying well above market rates, and they'll be gone as soon as the coffers run out.

Stop strategically trying to massage the reviews here on Glassdoor, your ignorance of how the social web is demonstrative of your inability to grasp modern trends, which is why you still create software the way we did it in the 80s. I'd held off posting a review, until I saw the unbelievably rainbows and sunshine reviews appearing, and I'm afraid the truth must out.