CNL Software - It could have been a great place to work..... | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for CNL Software

"It could have been a great place to work....."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knaphill, England (UK)

I worked at CNL Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great customers, exceptional staff (some of them). If you live within 10 minutes of the offices in Knaphill it is an excellent commute. The diversity of customers provides an excellent environment in which to learn about integrated security solutions across key vertical markets. If you have experienced life in a boarding school, the military or other such establishment, then the daily doctrine will be a breeze for you.

Cons

Ridicule and confrontation are daily occurrences in the office; regardless of whether you are a senior manager; manager; long serving member of staff or newbie. I have certainly not come across the sort of behaviour deemed acceptable by the family owners of this business, in any other IT related company that I have worked for.

There is no such thing as a work - life balance at CNL, when you sign on the dotted line, you are giving your soul to the family cause. For instance, if during impromptu Q & A sessions, which can occur randomly on a daily basis without notice, you do not regurgitate answers to all questions posed to the satisfaction of the owners, be prepared for a verbal lashing. For at CNL, it is always some elses fault, and the fault always lies with the staff and not the family members!

They say you can judge a book by its cover. In the case of CNL, you only need turn the first page to see what is real vs. prophesied.

Advice to Management

Accept that you have weaknesses and are not infallible, and stop looking for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. It doesn't exist! The most important asset you have are your people, when three experienced members of staff leave in the space of a couple of weeks of each other, you need to accept the reasons why and change.

Other Employee Reviews for CNL Software

"A bad life experience - learnt a lot"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knaphill, England (UK)

I worked at CNL Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The product concept was very exciting.

Some lovely people to get to know.

Your forced to learn very quickly, a great place to develop people skills

Small office generally means you can find the people your looking for, unless your looking for management.

Cons

Extremely demotivating environment and management team.

The company needs a lot of work, there were no solid processes, the company spends its whole time fighting fires which makes for a very stressful environment.

The company hasn't got the strong foundation it needs to be the great company it was once capable of being. I've seen too many strong capable people come into that company and get crushed under the enormity of problems solving they are faces with without the tools the fix any of it. There are too many barriers in the current management for any manager to come in and make a difference, too many ego's.

100% staff turn over in 3 years

Advice to Management

Stop trying to expand your company and instead work on getting your product stable. Look after your exciting customers instead of trying to acquire new ones.

Look after your staff, at the end of the day they are the ones that keep you in business. Stop blaming your staff for your short comings and instead look at the management. Remove the blind and see that only a small handful of people left because of family and other reasons and see that the majority left because they were fighting a losing battle for which they received no appreciation or acknowledgement.

Don't make favourites, you treated some members of staff above and beyond what I've known any other employer to do and by doing so you alienated them from their team and the rest of your staff, which resulted in their resignation also.

You should not complain to your staff about the things you don't like, you are management, if there is a problem, deal with it professionally.

Hire a cleaner! your staff are not cleaners and do not need the extra stress of being told off like school children then they make a mess.

Let your staff go home early on a Friday once in a while.
    Being late isn't the end of the world, don't make a big deal of it.

Keith - Don't email your entire staff when your in a tizzy about something, it demotivates everyone!

Do not use the CCTV cameras to watch your staff, its wrong and demotivating - we know you did this!

MOST IMPORTANTLY - Take your bad reviews seriously, its hard not to get defensive but it could give you the opportunity to look at your company and how you can improve it, if you can set aside your ego's and admit that some of this might actually be your fault I believe that CNL might still have a chance but it will take a lot of time, money and back peddling.

There are a large number of us that have very deep scares left by CNL, we put in our blood sweat and tears for that company and now that we've left we're treated like spiteful children which is really sad.

"Fast paced company"

Current Employee - Management in Knaphill, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Management in Knaphill, England (UK)

I have been working at CNL Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

CNL is a small fast paced company, which demands a lot from its team members, but offer a unique place to accelerate a career. If you have ambition and want to make a mark than this is the place to do it.

I have seen lots of people come through the company, make a huge impact over a number of years and leave to find a role they would ever have been able to get without the experience they had at CNL. It is not an easy ride, some days it can be tough, but at the end of those days, I do feel that I have achieved something significant. If you are like me and want to work in a company that is trying to achieve something no one has done before and where you have the opportunity to push the boundaries of your abilities then consider CNL. If you are happier following a well-trodden path, then consider somewhere else.

The company is fairly flat, so senior management have a good understanding of what everyone is working on, some people see this as negative, but others enjoy the fact that their efforts are seen throughout the company.

Cons

The office is not in the best location, traffic can be bad on some days. The office is also not the newest or best equipped, but it is a good environment to focus on work without distractions.

Advice to Management

You can’t please all of the people all of the time, don’t let the actions of a few change a winning formula.