CNN - A fun environment for serious content. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for CNN

"A fun environment for serious content."

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

Pros

People are friendly (including talent), a great view from the cafeteria, networking is encouraged, some people are really willing to help. Interns are paid minimum wage. Internship orientation was good for networking with other interns.

Cons

Sometimes I felt useful, but others I felt very useless. A few of the media operations staff are intentionally very rude to interns, though many of them are quite nice.

Other Employee Reviews for CNN

"Good name cache but not the best place to work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

name recognition, location, offices, work/life balance

Cons

Very top down, not a-lot of authority unless you are executive management

"Quality of environment has declined drastically since new mgmt started 3 years ago."

Former Employee - CNN.com in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - CNN.com in Atlanta, GA

Pros

-- Coolness factor of working for such a well known organization.
    -- CNN.com is a part of Turner Broadcasting which is a great organization.
    -- They are hiring which allows for resume building and entry into a great company (but make sure you read the cons below).

Cons

-- I've worked for TBS for over a decade in various divisions. CNN.com has always been busy but the last three years have been unbearable and I see no signs suggesting this will change in 2012. In my opinion, the SVP of CNN.com who started three years ago is the reason. He embraces a burn and churn environment. The company is doing well financially but employees burn out and leave quickly. There has been massive turnover in the last 12 months. I suspect that quality will begin to drop shortly due to new employees and established employee burnout.

Advice to Management

I would like to ask that management on the corporate (Turner) level look at some HR stats on turnover. The place is completely dysfunctional and the current management team is at a loss on how to fix it. Turner has lost a tremendous amount of knowledge and dedicated employees (many with 10 years of dedication to the company). If you aren't feeling the pain yet, I believe you will soon. At a minimum the environment at CNN.com does not support Turner's overall employee work life balance promise.