CNN - Great benefits...not much room for advancement in NY. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for CNN

"Great benefits...not much room for advancement in NY."

Current Employee - Media Coordinator in New York, NY
Current Employee - Media Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at CNN full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

CNN is a great place to work if you are in Atlanta where there are tons of opportunities for advancement and career development.

Cons

CNN NY has zero chance for job advancement. You basically have to wait for someone to leave or die to get promoted.

Advice to Management

Management at this company is so bad, I doubt they'd take any advice.

Other Employee Reviews for CNN

"Interns = Free Slaves"

Former Intern - Producion in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Producion in New York, NY

I worked at CNN as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Access to television world, met a few nice people. Looks good on a resume, if they 'like' you and they treat you like you '"belong to their club." Beautiful view in the fall of Central Park and Columbus Circle.

Cons

No respect in the unit to which I was assigned, had more background and experience in the field than almost half the staff. Some some did not even have college degrees yet and not sure what they 'did' to get the job. I knew more about the field than they did. I had to let them know I knew what I was talking about. They were clueless about certain areas I produced. All too young and cocky, thought because they were "employed", that what I had to say was worthless. The booker still going to college, later I found out she was fired. They do not take our experience and education in to account. No respect and one of the worst experiences of my life. When I was there, we didn't get paid, no perks of any sort, didn't even leave there with a small gift bag and I worked for someone REALLY Famous!

Advice to Management

Some interns and low-level staff are smarter and more skilled than some of the egocentric staff. Some employees there just filling a seat because they 'know' somebody should be evaluated much more closely and seriously, use the skills of experienced interns who are more stable, older and loyal? But company loyalty means squat anymore.

"A Bored Intern, A Wasted Talent, A Resume Builder"

Former Intern - Show Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Show Intern in New York, NY

I worked at CNN as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

looks great on the resume, chance to tour shows and other jobs, pays $7.25 p/h

Cons

boring and redundant work that eats at your soul aka LOGGING TAPE

Advice to Management

The internships should be more engaging. Just think: you have free slaves! Spend a little time up front training them and then you can work them into the ground until their 8hour shift is done! Why make them sit there and organize your contacts list? Thats just cruel.